Determine seams using maxsurf

Discussion in 'Software' started by Arvy, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

Hi all,

Just a small question, is it possible to generate seams in maxsurf (or workshop) to develop hull plates later on? Right now I can only get workshop to expand the entire half of the hull (40 foot yacht) in 1 plate, you can imagine that this is not exactly what I want (roundbilge, huge deformations to get the compound curves etc).

Thanks for your replies (a tutorial would even be better :D )

Arvy

2. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

Absolutely, you can use a surface edge, waterline, buttock or diagonal as a seam, or you can specify a seam path using the stringer functions. Plate butts are usually defined by displaying and selecting sections.

Procedure is to hold down the shift key, click on the section that defines the aft butt, then the forward butt, then the longitudinal curve that defines the upper or lower seam of the plate, followed by the curve that defines the other longitudinal. You should now have 4 curves that intersect to define a quadrilateral plate. Select "Add Plate" from the Plates menu, specify some plate development parameters and you're done.

Please also refer to the relevant sections of the Workshop manual.

3. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply, but what I actually meant to ask was, is it possible to generate them in such away that the developped plates can be fabricated. I already read in the workshop manual about selecting the stringers and sections etc.

So not just select the seams by means of creating extra stringers (stringers that one won't use as stringers during production, as it is not recommended to have a seam cross a stringer, or worse to coincide) that one can use to determine the seams, but have the seams actually calculated by maxsurf or workshop. The butt's can be done easily by hand (just by creating extra sections that won't be used as frames during production, but form butts with enough overlap).

Drawing the seams by hand is ofcourse possible, but I was kinda expecting from workshop that it could do it for you. But then again, workshop should keep the stringers in mind.

I am not native english, so sometimes it is hard to explain what I want to ask, sorry for that.

Grtz,
    Arvy

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.