Which design softwares to use during university?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cap1988, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Cap1988

Cap1988 New Member

Hi,
    From this September I will be taking NA course so I was wondering if someone could give me information about softwares used by students during their NA studies. The names of the softwares and short descriptions would be welcomed.

Cap

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

That will depend on the school and what they have adopted. You need to ask what they recommend.

3. Cap1988

Cap1988 New Member

Well, the school is located in Newcastle, UK>> Newcastle university.

Some general programs are Britship, MaxSurf and Tribon!!!

Reading posts about hull design shows that Maxsurf is highly acknowledged. Would that mean other programs are based around Maxsurf, like Hidromax or Rhino etc.?

4. smartbight

smartbight Naval Architect

Read .PDF attached file on software used at UNO

Attached Files:

5. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

When I was there Newcastle Uni used Maxsurf (but that was 10 years ago). There really is no need to get an individual license of anything, just use the university's. You actually use hull software very little, and not for the forst year. Have fun at Newcastle - its a great course and a great city!

6. Cap1988

Cap1988 New Member

Thanks, smartbight, for pdf, but this survey is pretty old and I don't think Newcastle Uni uses these sofwares anymore because they is outdated ...

PI Design, they still use Maxsurf, but I think it is now much more part of the course than 10 years aback.

To PI Design,
    Does this mean, university gives you the right to download software right into your PC during studies?

Ok, lets look from different perspective. Could somebody tell me, what sort of programs NA need to design a ship or boat? Which are most widely used and recognized programs (group of programs) in NA, so that they could do all design activities and complete design?

7. CGN

CGN Senior Member

what sort of programs NA need to design a ship or boat:

2DCAD, HullDesign, Stability and Powering & Resitance

most widely used and recognized programs (Design offices)

AutoCAD, HullDesign: Maxsurf, Autoship, Proteus, stability: GHS, P&R: NavCAD, Structural Modeling: ShipConstructor, General 3D modeling: Rhino3D

FreeStuff that you can use:

Delftship, Archimedes for stability, Alibre Xpress for structural modeling, Alternative to Rhino (for few more months i think) Moi3D. for thin hulls and cats Mitchlet. to name few

And for structural design mostly spreadsheets and by hand, even on most design offices that's what they use. FEA is used but only in tasks where a FEA analysis is required.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.