Delftship to maxsurf . . . How to ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by H50, Dec 16, 2009.

1. H50

H50 New Member

Hi, forum newbie here.

Reading this forum for decades now and never registered.
    After a lot of hours playing around with FREEship and later Delftship I would
    like to export my work and import it in Maxsurf.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here ?

Thanks

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi H50,

IGES is probably the most convenient format in which to transfer a model from Freeship to most surface-based modellers.

Freeship, and the pro versions of Delftship, can export IGES surfaces that most 3D CAD programs can import and use.

3. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

Not very easy, because they do not use the same mathematical surface representation. Freeship uses subdivision surface, maxsurf uses NURBS. (Freeship can use triangular surface , Maxsuf cannot.)

You can go thru IGES import/xport. But freeship will first translate its subdivision surface into a bunch of small NURB surface that will approximate the subdivision surface. You will get in Maxsurf (or rhino) a bunch of surfaces with a bunch of control points, even if you have a simple surface with few control points in Freeship.

4. yipster

yipster designer

have 3.2 free here, you'r meaning old freeship and Delfship 3.2 PRO exports igis?
    ah, didnt know that, still post my question couse i dont know what a VIZ block is
    delftship 3.2 free polylines into max gives me a VIZ block, what is a VIZ block?
    it extrudes in a vertical way and turns to nurb but not it into a surface
    btw, how you check deadrise? with a geotriangle off a printout or what?

Attached Files:

5. yipster

yipster designer

6. formsys

formsys formsys

Just tested Freeship to Maxsurf with the FS tug sample and it seems to go through fine via IGES. (see attached) As mentioned above, the triangular corners may be broken up into a few small surfaces but these are pretty easy to delete and correct.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  7. alidesigner

alidesigner Senior Member

Even if you transfer via iges you wont have the control point net in Maxsurf to do any further work. Might be better to export an offsets table, bring them into Maxusrf as markers and create a new surface model in Maxsurf using the markers as references.

8. formsys

formsys formsys

No, actually via IGES you do get the full surface and its control point net which can then be modified in the normal way.

9. alidesigner

alidesigner Senior Member

Sorry I should have been clearer. I should have said wont have a clean control point net.

I did an iges export of thier 2nd demo file and it said 278 surfaces exported so I expect that while MS would import all of them, the model would be a nightmare to work with and modify.

10. formsys

formsys formsys

Quite right. The tug model was OK but others may well have an unmanageable number of surfaces.

11. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

It depends on the number of triangular surfaces, or the number of surface with more than 4 points. These are not supported by NURBS and have to be converted to multiple patches.

1 person likes this.
  12. yipster

yipster designer

thanks Martijn i didnt know that or forgot about nurb properties
    like taking the inflatable mesh of when converting to editable mesh
    polylines should be to close i read somewhere, maybe even to surfaces
    so much to do so litle time the rabbit said asking for half a cup
    stations on in delftship comes nicely over in 3dmax, maxsurf academic now and still to try
    3d adobe reviewer can take the mesh out and select polylines
    a well, a little extra study may help, and forget about viz blocks eh

Attached Files:

13. yipster

yipster designer

hmm... background pic only in delftship and not in freeship, no tricks?
    after having mis-tryd re-installing acrobat pro extended 3d trial with one sour eye
    now jugling free/delft, has anybody seen a pot of gold that makes live easy'r ?

14. yipster

yipster designer

drawing over a background img -only in delft- to export to free -that only exports igis witch free delft dont
    was reading freeship to delftship and delftship to freeship and ok parts works one way using the steps in this link
    but to export from free to export igis greys out, running free, delft and pro demo now, only peeking at the ad on's
    pro does it all and exports igis alrite (what is not visible in the pro demo) so i'm counting my blessings to buy
    and stop hijacking the tread wondering how pro boats do in maxsurf's seakeeper ;-)

15. azahar

azahar New Member

hi,
    i'm azahar and i'm a student. actually i'm not so clear how to export Delftship to maxsurf.
    plz help me..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.