Delftship to maxsurf . . . How to ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by H50, Dec 16, 2009.

1. formsys

formsys formsys

Export IGES from delftship to Maxsurf, see Martins comments above re some things which might affect the export.

2. azahar

azahar New Member

thanks sir, actually i have another problem, now i'm using the demo version of delftship in demo version i can not export my file to IGES.

sir i'm really need your help, actually i'm a student and this is my final year, i had a task that need to be complied. sir can you help me, export a file from delftship to maxsurf. please sir i'm really need your help..

if you don't mind can you give me your e-mail address than i can sent you my file.

please sir....

3. formsys

formsys formsys

Martin can explain your options but I think FreeShip will export for you. Im afraid we are way too busy to do file conversions for student projects, sorry.

4. CmbtntDzgnr

CmbtntDzgnr Senior Member

Would it be useful or helpful to

Add more stations than needed, while in Freeship/Hydronship or Delftship PRIOR to exporting? Can MaxSurf import the 3D polylines, and then allow the user to rebuild a native surface within MS? If so, is that surface faithful to that present in FS/HS/DS? Is it possible that the polylines imported to MS not 100% faithful to the source? how tiny or negligible is the difference.

If it is possible to import the 3D polylines into MS, and if possible to manually rebuild the sideshell, I'd do that, but then also make layers and assign sideshell to various appropriated layers. As far as the sideshell goes, the layers would at a minimum represent major watertight compartments. Then, if the MS hydros/calcs can cope with that attempt on my part, I might expect that I could manually make a child model.

But, it probably is much better if possible to follow the suggestion above and use a table of offsets to be in a better position with hull faithfulness.

5. formsys

formsys formsys

It depends what you are going to do with the hull shape. If you just want to do some stability, motions or resistance prediction, then perfect accuracy and fairness is not essential. In that case yes you could export sections via DXF and fit surfaces to them in Maxsurf. You could also use the trimesh option which automatically generates a hull shape over the offsets.
    (See the following youtube videos:
    http://youtu.be/uXAJRu6xOPI and http://youtu.be/rsppUPaGuy8)
    However if you want a good quality hull for future modification and production, then you do need to move the surfaces themselves via IGES.

6. ufukozbek

ufukozbek New Member

I am using a method as;
    Delftship - export dxf 3d polylines. I use these polylines to create surface at rhino. then save as iges and insert it to maxsurf.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.