DelftShip - Chine Import

Discussion in 'Software' started by rwatson, Sep 18, 2010.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Hi all

I thought I had won lotto when I found that my free copy of Delftship had a "chine import" function to create a hull design by importing chine offsets.

I have plans for a boxy houseboat, with about 8 stations, and only three chines.

I read in a text file for the bow and transom frames only, with these settings

0 0 0
    0 1.051 .048
    0 1.114 1.12

8 0 .466
    8 .766 .675
    8 .871 1.387

EOF

This file has only two of the 8 stations (bow and transom) to start with.
    The first line, 0 means "metres"

The next line, 0 0 0 means that the first point on the frame is located at position 0 on the X (length) axis, at point 0 on the Y (width) axis, and point 0 on the Z (height) axis.

The next line (chine) means at point 0 (length) , the point is 1.051 Y wide, and .048 Z tall
    The next line (gunnel) means at point 0 (length) , the point is 1.114 Y wide, and 1.12 Z tall

This should make a boxy transom with a small chine - but if you look in the attached outcome illustration, it created something totally different.

The bow transom looks fine.

If anyone can figure out what is going wrong, I would appreciate any help.

Attached Files:

2. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

Looks like you've used the wrong import routine (Import surface rather than import chines).
    While looking at your data I noticed both "chines" are defined at a constant x location, so in fact they are stations. Chines should be defined running from the back to the front.

1 person likes this.
  3. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

By the way, your file toolbar seems to be missing. Is that on purpose?

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Thanks for the hint there Martijn.

I double checked the import option I used, and no, I did select "import Chines" originally.

Also, yes, they are stations, as I mentioned in the post, ( and yes, I did turn off the Files Toolbar)

But, I did get a hint from your helpfull reply, and re-ordered the sequence of the commands to create three chines, rather than stations.

0 0 0
    8 0 .466

0 1.051 .048
    8 .766 .675

0 1.114 1.12
    8 .871 1.387

EOF

This did help, and gave me exactly what I wanted ( see attached)

Thanks a lot for the pointer - it looks like the this function is going to work for me.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.