Cobalt anyone?!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rupes, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Rupes

Rupes Junior Member

Hi everybody,

Im currently woking on a software appraisal for the implementation of 3D CAD within a fairly small GRP boatyard. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the Cobalt program from Ashlar Vellum. Aside from hull design work, which I plan to do in Maxsurf, the program appears to have all of the functionality of Rhino (which I percieve as bieng the obvious choice) with some very useful parametric functionality.

Having undertaken a fairly substantial review of the software around (and in the right cost bracket) I am aware of all the arguments for and against solid/surface techniques and various other issues, I was just wondering if anyone has experience with this particular software.

2. Timm

Timm Senior Member

I currently use both Ashlar-Vellum Graphite and Argon for design. I find A-V products to be the easiest to use and learn. I am currently surfacing a hull with Argon and it is working well, although I still have quite a bit to learn. My experience with Ashlar's support has been pretty good, although I have had very little need for it as the programs are so user friendly. If I can answer any questions for you, feel free to write.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.