CNC cutting file....need to make one.

Discussion in 'Software' started by MikeJohns, Feb 3, 2006.

1. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Does anyone know....?

is there a cheap addin for Rhino or Autocad that will give a CNC output for plate cutting? Or a standalone program that would take a CAD file and spit out a CNC cutting file?

The plates are already unrolled onto a single plane, the particular steel supplier would like CNC rather than a DXF

Must be pretty simple, just an xy path. Any Freeware? (Probably only runs on Linux !)

2. Sander Rave

Sander Rave Senior Member

Dxf files in general are good footage for CNC output. What is it that you need? When you want your sheets machined the cutter wil process the files for you in general. I think this is a rather silly question? Did you squeeze him too much so he doesn't want to convert your files anymore ;-)

When you need to get more parts out of one sheet and want to do that economically, you may need a (2D) nesting program. It takes care of lay-out of your parts most economical in sheets.

You can find share-/free ware versions on the net. I guess your man (or woman) who invested in a CNC cutter wil have a more efficient/powerfull nesting program.
    Is this the answer to your question?
    Regards,

3. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

In the past have always just passed the CAD files on to the mill/cutter with a test shape to check accuarcy.

This is a clients request overseas, presuming they have antiquated gear but they say they can accept G-code input, but do not want Rhino or Autocad files. Perhaps this removes their responsibility one step and makes it cheaper for the client.

Rather than convert to DXF with its conversion accuracy then convert to CNC I was hoping to find a cheap addin for Rhino or Autocad that would simply output the code. Otherwise I leave it firmly in the clients lap.

4. Sander Rave

Sander Rave Senior Member

Exactly, I find it a strange thing they don't...
    They should be the ones to comply it to their standards.
    I don't know for Rhino, but Autocad files are solid and sound. Conversion still has an accuracy of at least in the 1000th of a mm, so that shouldn't bother
    Good luck!

5. quicksail

quicksail Junior Member

Check out RhinoCam. www.rhinocam.com, it is a decent program based on the Visual Mill program. Cost is average for such software, 1000US$ or so. Check the rhino resources page to see if there are any other plugins avaliable.

Cheers

6. mattbyrne

mattbyrne New Member

Sheetcam

Check out SheetCam, very inexpensive but powerful program. will take in DXF and output g-Code.

7. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

If I am recalling correctly the Rhino guys at IBEX told me that Rhino 4 will have the capability. You can download the Rhino 4 Beta from the Rhino website and try it out.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.