BoatExpress software

Discussion in 'Software' started by alanrockwood, May 29, 2011.

1. alanrockwood

alanrockwood Senior Member

Has anyone succeeded in getting BoatExpress to run under Windows Vista?

I downloaded it, unzipped it, set the runtime compatibility options, and tried to run by double clicking on the executable file. It tried to start running, but then it gives an error message about not being able to find V.EX. (Yes, that's V.EX, not V.EXE).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Alan

P.S. I have Free!Ship Plus running, but I would like to try BoatExpress because it might be a more complete package. For example the claim is that it can be used to design frame members.

2. alanrockwood

Replying to myself. I just figured out how to get it to run. I moved everything to another subdirectory and I did not have the problem I mentioned in my first post. I have no idea why the subdirectory would have made a difference, but it did.

There is one annoying thing. It runs in 256 color compatibility mode. When running it changes everything to 256 color, not just BoatExpress. Usually it changes back to normal when I exit the program.

Anyone else out there using BoatExpress who can offer misc. useful tips?

3. Gerard DeRoy

Gerard DeRoy Junior Member

using boatexpress

I am the author and used it for the full design of a 50 feet motorSailor well under construction.
    Also in the process of rewritting the boatExpress under new technologies.
    Any questions?

4. alanrockwood

I hope you succeed with the rewrite. Please keep us posted on progress.

5. CmbtntDzgnr

CmbtntDzgnr Senior Member

Say, I'm curious... the wind Polar Plot... that's interesting. I suppose it is effective at hull AND cockpit recommendations, or is it sails only?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.