Boat Design Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by fisherman925, Nov 2, 2004.

1. fisherman925

fisherman925 New Member

I have designed a whole line of offshore fishing boats that range from 35' to 79' feet. The designs look good on paper in 1 dimension. I've looked at the software thats posted on the site and I havent found anything that Im looking for. If anyone has a software to recommend, PLEASE DO!!! If you could recommend a software that is easy to use and can give me 3D renderings of my designs. I highly appreciated it.

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Hello Fisherman

I find Rhinoceros the easiest to use for the work I do, it has an easy interface and is good for 3d visualisation of a proposed design. Additionally it has an inbuilt basic hydrostatics info and accepts a range of usefull nautical software plugins.

3. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

Hello Fisherman,
    I suppose my suggestion would be considered hardware instead of software. Why not make a half model and look at it held up to a mirror? It only takes a day or so. There are mirrors which reflect of the front of the glass which gives you a better representation. It is called two way glass. I'm suggestion this because you did not mention anything about computers or CAD in your post. If you are not using CAD already it will take many days to learn. If, on the other hand, you intend to use computers for future design work you should go ahead and pay your dues.
    Best wishes,
    Gilbert

4. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

Check out TouchCAD. Easy to use and a powerful general purpose modeler. Simultaneous dynamic cross sectioning over any number of surfaces and any number of control points in any number of objects can be edited at the same time. All control point on the objects and not vaguely beside it. Built in marine, weight and center of gravity calculations. Very extensive built in unfolding and production preparation features. I essentially design all major panels with it. www.touchcad.com

5. navaldesigner

navaldesigner Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.