Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 05-15-2013, 11:18 PM
CutawayCafe

Rep: 10 Posts: 22
Blender for hull design

Has anyone on this forum succesfully used Blender for hull design?

It is an immensely versatile program and incorporates a physics engine. I know that in theory it could be used to model and test a hull, show volume, area etc. However the learning curve is a concern.

The first problem I've struck is in dimensioning. It appears to be difficult in Blender to specify such simple things as width, height etc. Everything is a percentage-scale of another thing.

If anyone has had a good crack at this and is able to say it worked for them, I'll be willing to invest the time!

Thanks, Dan
Old 05-16-2013, 03:04 AM

Rep: 60 Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutawaycafe View Post
Has anyone on this forum succesfully used Blender for hull design?

It is an immensely versatile program and incorporates a physics engine. I know that in theory it could be used to model and test a hull, show volume, area etc. However the learning curve is a concern.

The first problem I've struck is in dimensioning. It appears to be difficult in Blender to specify such simple things as width, height etc. Everything is a percentage-scale of another thing.

If anyone has had a good crack at this and is able to say it worked for them, I'll be willing to invest the time!

Thanks, Dan
You can re-paint your house with a screwdriver, but why bother when you can do it so much easier and quicker using a brush.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:38 AM
CutawayCafe

Helpful comments welcome, if you've not used Blender please do not feel the need to reply. Thanks
Old 05-16-2013, 04:08 AM
Engineering and Design

Rep: 3380 Posts: 5,328
I have had a quick glimpse at Blender few years ago, but have immediately abandoned it because I found it unsuitable for engineering design. It was apparently intended mainly for artists and video-game developers, to whom precision is not as important as the quality of surface modeling and rendering.

I don't know if this is of any help, but if you type "object dimensions blender" in Google, you'll find that many users are having the same problem, and that several pages deal with it.

Cheers
Old 05-16-2013, 09:15 AM
CutawayCafe

yeah - I think this may be a case of water uphill. I have trials of Rhino for Windows and Mac, clearly that's the way to go - was just wondering about Blender. Frustrating application sometimes!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:02 AM

Rep: 54 Posts: 67
I'm fairly familiar with Blender. Although it would be possible to incorporate hydro solvers for analyzing a hull, this would not be without effort.

Which surface modeling tools in Blender were you using?

What is your end goal in designing a hull?

There are already a lot of software packages out there that lets you design hulls that are very mature. Are you familiar with some of these, how people use them in practice, and the concerns that have lead to this status quo?
Old 05-16-2013, 07:20 PM
CutawayCafe

Yes indeed, I have looked at the options suggested and downloaded Rhino for both Mac and Windows. I figured I'd have to use a new piece of software so the 25-save limit applied across two machines might give me enough practice.

The Blender question was simply because there was alwasy a chance it MIGHT be a hidden gem that few have considered. It appears not though! I am very impressed with Rhino and will almost certainly go that route. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:26 PM

Rep: 54 Posts: 67
Orca3D is a fairly-widely-used Rhino plugin that will do hydrostatics calculations and has some helpers for hull design.

What is your goal with hull design? Do you want to design and build a boat? What kind?
Old 04-01-2014, 12:57 AM

Rep: 116 Posts: 123
In case anyone finds it relevant, there is a project called cadtools that is trying to extend Blender in a way to make it useful for CAD.

http://www.cad4arch.com/cadtools/

The project is only partially complete, but it seems to be pretty far along. It contains nothing specific for boat design, but might be worth a look nevertheless.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:30 AM

Rep: 271 Posts: 1,266
Blender has been around for years, it works OK, though I struggle a bit with the interface. Got some nice visual results (splashing wave stuff) from it last year, on one thing though.

Thanks for the heads up. Rhino is way better for modelling, but Blender is a good renderer and multi threaded so you can use those cores!.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:11 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 1
I have used Blender for years now for boat modelling. Blender is good at some things. However, Blender is NOT good for engineering. You can set your dimensional preferences to metric, imperial, or the already referenced blender standard (Who knows what this is) However, even with dimensional standards set it is still tricky to use for accurate models.
I have been using Blender for making 3D models of boats for second life. For this purpose Blender is really quite good. However, the boats I build are nothing more than "hollow" models with no plumbing or electrical routing at all.
I would recommend using Rhino as I have heard it is really good at this now. I have spent years teaching myself Blender and still have to fight with it to force it to work occasionally.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:34 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 47
For those who want to design the boats with Blender, you should take a look at this thread, which I started here.
Blender for boat design with FreeShip