Blender for boat design with FreeShip

Discussion in 'Software' started by pafurijaz, Dec 23, 2016.

1. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

bartender preliminary wooden structure

Hi, Tom, I don't think the boat can buoyancy :D, however, the hull plank is very similar to that done in 3D, and I noticed the engine to develop the polygons of Blender, is accurate in some cases, when you have a high density of polygons you will get better results. I have to check with the metal sheets.

Below a preliminary study of the wooden frame of the bartender boat, with a simple boolean intersection, between two solids in Blender.

[​IMG]

2. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

Structure

In the attached example, I used several layers for the various parts of the boat, if you check out the file of the boat, you can see the method used to generate the structure of the hull. This is only an example, but bear in mind that I'm no expert, in fact I'm still learning the techniques of building, then; Please don't crucify me; but if you can advise me. Another thing, if any of you have any requests on a particular hull, who would like to see made in Blender? Well if you want I try to make, for you, post hull profile here.

Attached Files:

3. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

Viko 20

A gift for you, this is the boat that started this whole thing, to make boats with Blender. Not the greatest of modeling but useful for anyone who wants to better understand looking at the structure of the mesh.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  4. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

What I mean about liking the "buoyancy" at the front is that if someone stood on the bows (front deck) the boat would support that weight well.
    Boats with sharp or fine water line in that area can dip and throw you into the water,even with guard rails.
    Trouble is many people want a boat to "look' good and destroy the practical safer design.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  5. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

Thanks, Tom for clarifying and for teaching me something new, I understood more, I am a neophyte in this world. I also copied the boat, so it's not my idea, but I've been reading up on the various shapes of the hull, and I love more the old boat projects, and one day I would redesign, the boat Flicka 20 in Blender.

6. alanrockwood

alanrockwood Senior Member

Do you use straight Blender or perhaps the CADtools add on? (http://www.cad4arch.com/cadtools/)

7. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

8. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Would you be able to use this image.
    This is a boat I built just for very shallow draft with no plans, for camping and fishing.
    http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/20399/ppuser/1988

I would like to increase length to 18ft x 6ft 6inch beam. It has no external keel but a triple keelson and just a brass metal strip out side.The black part is just a painted area.
    The boat has a 6 inch deadrise from transom right up to the top of the quater deck.

9. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

Thanks for the exercise, I downloaded some image of the boat, to study and I try to make the hull with Blender and FreeShip_plus.

10. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

Tom Kane UFO

Hi Tom, I need some more details on the boat, you could make some corrections on the images?
    I attached files for you, one for Blender and one for FreeShip.

Attached Files:

11. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

That was quick and very interesting. Unfortunately some of my operating systems are out of commission as they have just been attacked,some access denied hack.
    I wish I could handle those files but can not.
    I will try to make alteration at the bow which was narrower where there is a difference in a simpler windows software or GIMP.
    I will still download the files hopefully. Grateful for your effort and time.

12. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

Changed hull

Ok Tom, in fact I noticed that is different, in fact I have already made a change, but I would prefer you to indicate to me that the differences.

Attached Files:

13. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Ok pafurijaz pretty close to the best boat which out performed my expectations in very rough head seas and capotic waves and wind. The stem line must be abrupt at least as you show to stop slapping the water.
    I have fixed my hacked computer O/S so I can do some work on it.
    The boat was designed to be safe for family boating and I could up anchor from in the cabin, no need to go outside the cabin. Cheers.

14. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

The easy way to see the slight difference in your design to the hull I built is to view this image which shows where the sides of the hull curve forward.

This hull was designed purely to have the attributes I wanted and was not intended to have appeal, although many people thought it was just what they would like.

Attached Files:

15. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.