Best Marine Design Software for Hull Modeling? (2006)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Admin, Jan 1, 2006.

?

Which program(s) do you use as your primary hull design software?

Poll closed Jan 1, 2007.
  1. Autoship (Autoship Systems Corporation)

16 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. DefCar (DefCar Engineering)

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  3. Fastship (Proteus Engineering)

9 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. FreeShip

39 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. HullCAO (HullCAO)

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  6. Hull Form (Blue Peter Marine Systems)

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Maxsurf (Formation Design Systems)

53 vote(s)
    28.3%
  8. MultiSurf (Aerohydro)

8 vote(s)
    4.3%
  9. Naval Designer

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  10. Prolines (Vacanti Yacht Design)

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  11. ProSurf (New Wave Systems)

10 vote(s)
    5.3%
  12. Rhino (Robert McNeel & Assoc.)

55 vote(s)
    29.4%
  13. SeaSolution

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  14. TouchCAD

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

The principles for yachts and larger commercial ships are alike, so yes it will be suitable for yachts also. It will be available probably the first week of October and there will also be a demo version of the program. I'm not yet in the beta stage, but I keep that also in consideration.

2. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Hello,

Anybody have an idea when Rhino3D ver 4 will be launch? I am still waiting for the upgrade. plus the marine plug-in package.

Thanks,

Student

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Rhino4 is being demonstrated at several trade shows over the next few months. As far as I know an official release date has not been set.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  4. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

I am more curious when I can get a copy of the Rhino3D ver 4.00 for my design. I am also counting on the marine plug-in and the (shipconstruction) Expand flattening program.

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

http://rhino3d.com/nr.htm
    A fairly buggy beta of Rhino4 is currently in testing and is being demonstrated right now. The release is anticipated to occur before the end of 2006 but an official date is not set.

6. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

All registered users of V3 (and V2?) can download the beta versions of V4.
    We have been invited to training sessions in september and October, so I suppose we are getting close to the final release then.

7. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

8. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

9. Milko Minchev

Milko Minchev Junior Member

Correct, the bigest shipyards use Tribon and the main reason is that Tribon has the best Hull design system.
    In 2004 Tribon Solution has been acquired by AVEVA. They are known with their PDMS and now they are preparing a Vantage Marine product which is a mixture of the outfitting PDMS and Tribon HULL.
    I think the following article might be of some interest to you What CAD / CAM software do you use for ship design and model

10. Sonadora

Sonadora Scatterbrain

I think this discussion should be divided for clarification:

small vessels vs. large vessels

Especially in terms of systems, Tribon, PDMS, FORAN, etc. are very high end, enterprise-wide solutions. These would be overkill for small (< 60ft) vessels.

1 person likes this.
  11. gyvertech

gyvertech Design Engineer

Design Engineer

Hi Guys,

I am going to come from left field and say that I have found Solid Edge to be excellent for boat design.

Although not geared for the marine industry it has pretty good surfacing tools that lets me create quite complex round or chined surfaces in about 15 mins. The hulls can be dynamically edited, or controlled by coordinate dimensions.

Then I can use theses surfaces to create frame members etc. The good thing is that if i change the hull shape the frame members update accordingly, along with any engineering drawings of those parts.

Being a full engineering CAD package I am not limited to what I can design. the mast, rigging, or even the engine could be 100% designed and modelled if I wanted.

Also once I have created all the frame members and assigned materials (and hence densities) to the parts, it will tell me to the gram what the overall mass. Also, most importantly, it will show me where the centre of mass is.

The downside is that it doesnt have the automatic functionality of other marine CAD programs. For instance, when I want to calculate the centre of bouyancy I have to manually boolean away the hull above the waterline - it only takes a few minutes longer than a button press, but I must admit it would be nice to have all that functionality built in. It would be great if it could develop the chine panels too.

The other downside is that it is quite expensive. About A$10000, with A$2000/year maintenance. For me this is cheap as, apart from my laptop and printer, it is all I need to run my design business.

I posted a couple of JPEGS of designs I have done using Solid Edge in my members gallery.

cheers,

Mal
    Gyvertech -
    Sydney, Australia

12. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

13. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

14. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Can't really say what Freedesign's technology is until their website's finished, I guess.
    Speaking of Freeship. Anyone heard what's up with 2.7? http://www.freeship.org hasn't been updated since June... this isn't like Martjin, to leave us hanging for so long.

15. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

sooo... heard anything about released of RHINO 3D ver 4.0? Freeship new program for commercial ships?:) I hope next year will be exciting...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.