Best Marine Design Software for Hull Modeling? (2006)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Admin, Jan 1, 2006.

?

Which program(s) do you use as your primary hull design software?

Poll closed Jan 1, 2007.
  1. Autoship (Autoship Systems Corporation)

16 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. DefCar (DefCar Engineering)

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  3. Fastship (Proteus Engineering)

9 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. FreeShip

39 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. HullCAO (HullCAO)

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  6. Hull Form (Blue Peter Marine Systems)

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Maxsurf (Formation Design Systems)

53 vote(s)
    28.3%
  8. MultiSurf (Aerohydro)

8 vote(s)
    4.3%
  9. Naval Designer

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  10. Prolines (Vacanti Yacht Design)

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  11. ProSurf (New Wave Systems)

10 vote(s)
    5.3%
  12. Rhino (Robert McNeel & Assoc.)

55 vote(s)
    29.4%
  13. SeaSolution

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  14. TouchCAD

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Inventor and Solid Works are the dominating programs in number of seats here. Then you have some specialsed software in the marine industry, NAPA etc.

I used to work for an adesk reseller, but think they try to fool the customers to overbuy.

2. Raggi_Thor

btw, I checked the number of people working in Pronor, one of the SW dealers in norway (www.pronor.no) and they outnumber the Alibre and Rhino resllers, of course :)

I still think Alibre + Rhino is a good low cost alternative.

3. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Raggi, i have to say i'm an alibre user and looking at alibre as an option instead of solidworks for structural modeling i think there is not a chance to try to compare, alibre is good very good and i can recomend if you need a mcad for mcad use rigging, hathces, doors and some boat accesories, yes you can model the sturcture on Alibre but the tools and features to facilitate your modeling are not near there as solidworks,besides speed is a big issue IMO, i would like to see alibre getting close to solidworks but from the marine perspective IMO is far from being a solution, while solidworks is in fact a solution.

Like i said i use alibre and i would like to see alibre more eficient for marine modeling (structure) and by the way this thread started to sound more like "my solidworks can do this and yours not", but there is no doubt at least on my expierence that solidworks or solid edge can be used in very eficient way to model your hull structure, and about cost i prefer to buy solidworks with Autocad LT than the full Acad and shipconstructor at least for building within size range of boats.

cheers

4. Raggi_Thor

CGN, I guess you are right. As usual you get what you are paying for, and Alibre's philosphy is to offer 80% of the functionality at 20% of the price.

5. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Anybody know of taking full advantage of a good combo with CAD and Prosurf? I mean do you need a third program to make it powerful? I intent to utilize the present package until I graduate and then I would invest in a high-end stuff.

Student

6. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Yes you can use prosurf even after school, prosurf is very complete IMO for the cost, it handles nurbs in a "different" way as rhino or maxsurf but the results are good, i find it very easy to use, also i have found that the surfaces from prosurf (iges) works really good with rhino, I think it all depends how comfortable you feel with prosurf, and if you have the pro version then way better, i use the basic version and it does what i need it to do, as usual try some of the software out there, Maxsurf and Freeship, remember that freeship offers a lot and you should be using it.

cheers

7. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

I have ordered the student discount of prosurf, now still on the way, is it the pro version? I have rhino, so i would think that all i need then.

Student

8. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Prosurf has two version pro and basic, but anyway, if you have rhino then you are set for now, with time you will find out if you need to upgrade to something else.

good luck

9. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

I have the odd bundle:

1. CAD2006
    2. Rhino3D ver 3
    3. Prosurf Student ver
    4. LightWave
    5. Photostudio
    6. FreeShip :)

I think I am not greedy by waiting for the new Rhino ver 4 marine bundle.
    I will use all these for the next 3 years before I will up grade to shipcontruction level 2.

Thanks for fill up.

Student

10. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

Pirate?! what do you mean by that?

11. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

FreeShip is a free program. It is not a pirated program, do you like pirated programmes?

I buy all the original unless my friend let me use his copy with agreement not to mass distribute the software ( for study purposes ). Once working full-time, I would by pure vanity would gooble up all original software.:)

I am waiting freeship professional version launching into the market.

Student

12. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I think you'll wait a long time...I don't think there is a 'PRO' version. This is just a typo. I've corresponded with Martjin for over a year and there has never been a mention of marketing the software, just free distribution.

Steve

13. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Too bad, played with freeship and I like it, if only..........

Student

14. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

The mentioning of FREE!ship PRO was not a type. I'm currently very busy developing an additional version of FREE!ship, called FREE!ship pro. The normal version of FREE!ship will still be free. The pro version aims at professional designers and has some additional options, such as critical points, tank modelling (as solids), tank calibration and full intact stability calculations. Below is a sample screenshot of two ships containing tanks.

Attached Files:

15. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

When will the Freeship Pro be avaliable? Will it be a commercial ship only or would be a fine program for yacht design. Is there a beta version to be distributed?

Student

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.