Best Marine Design Software for Hull Design? (2001-2005)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Admin, Jun 15, 2001.

?

If you could only use one software package, which would it be?

1. Autoship (Autoship Systems Corporation)

34 vote(s)
    13.4%
  2. DefCar (DefCar Engineering)

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  3. Fastship (Proteus Engineering)

9 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. HullCAO (HullCAO)

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. Hull Form (Blue Peter Marine Systems)

9 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. Maxsurf (Formation Design Systems)

75 vote(s)
    29.6%
  7. MultiSurf (Aerohydro)

22 vote(s)
    8.7%
  8. Naval Designer

18 vote(s)
    7.1%
  9. Prolines (Vacanti Yacht Design)

12 vote(s)
    4.7%
  10. ProSurf (New Wave Systems)

37 vote(s)
    14.6%
  11. Rhino (Robert McNeel & Assoc.)

28 vote(s)
    11.1%
  12. SeaSolution

4 vote(s)
    1.6%
  13. TouchCAD

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon Ita

Simon Ita New Member

Hi, I'm a new member! Do you know Think3 Thinkdesign software? It be used by some boat constructor in Italy like AZIMUT-BENETTI... it's great!

2. Simon Ita

Simon Ita New Member

3. thomas mattson

thomas mattson Junior Member

For the guy that likes to screw around with design HullForm is the best.

Thanks

4. L.DOSSO

L.DOSSO Junior Member

Well,simon ,I did a practica by a yacht designer here in france.He uses think 3 for modeling decks ,cocKpits and cabin roofs.His boats are cruiser racer sailboats betwween 10 and 17m and fast sailing cats.I tried the demo and I do really think it is a good software.You can find work of this architect www.lerouge-yachts.com .The only problemis without doubt the price(more expansive than rhino,without beeing sure of this).lucas

5. Simon Ita

Simon Ita New Member

Yes, think3 is more expencive that rhino... so the architect where I work uses Rhino and autocad for boat components and maxsurf for the hulls, but I think Think Design is better for something... for example is parametric! :)

6. lordrailie

lordrailie Junior Member

try to compare it eith CATIA

7. Simon Ita

Simon Ita New Member

Catia is fantastic... but for the price it's intouchable!!!!! :(

8. lordrailie

lordrailie Junior Member

Actually that is not true, you can get a catia v5 license below 10000€, which actually is not expensive if you compare the capabilities of catia against any of the others. The only softs comparable are Pro/E (not user frindly and very restrictive) and UG.

9. lordrailie

lordrailie Junior Member

Rhino is a good drawing tool, but is not a production oriented package while those i siad before are all design and production softs

10. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

T Speer

Most of my adult life I've been a boatbuilder and sailed since age 12
    I have met many designers and know many builders
    I have never read anyone as clever, if that iis the correct word, as you are.You remind me of that bloke who first did this, father of cad programmes aero hydra
    Most of the words you use I have never heard of, and those that I have heard of, I've absolutely no idea what they mean, like "layers" snap etc
    Of course until 8 years ago I did all my lofting, long lines, body plan, transom development on my knees, it would take about 100 hours to draw the lines, prove them, lift the offsets, draw the body plan and then draw the structure, so I know what spline and stiffness are,
    I get so fed up, I simply cannot get to grips with CAD.
    Anybody can buy software and design a boat, does'nt make em' a designer though , seen some great um er, stuff ups launched, being involved all my life I can just glance at lines and know what the boat will do at sea,
    So question, if I gave some competant CAD walla, offsets, profile measurements, how long should it take to get up a set of lines> given that the offsets are fairly fair iIn this case she is two chine sailing boat? And then how long to produce cut files of the hull plates in this case only 6 plates per side,
    Anyone can answer this if they please
    regards Stu (you can see some of my finished work in gallery,) At present writing a book on hands on practical yachtbuilding, how to build the machinery as well as use it. Who wants to do the chapter on how CAD can be of use---smile

11. vpkumar

vpkumar Junior Member

Tribon

Hi!

I would use TRIBON

12. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Just get off the bloody computer and go out in your shed and build something, for Gods' sake, it'll do you good, you might even discover a couple of things about yourselves, Ya bloody *******.

Yokebutt.

13. ARGO

ARGO Junior Member

I use Solid works for everything after i build the shell in Rhino

14. urushira

urushira Junior Member

I'm currently trying to find software that will allow me to recreate in 3D the UMS Lady Elgin. I'm not a boat designer, and to be honest i'm no great expert with splines or nurbs and especially not lofting. Is there any software I can use that will generte a hull shape with surfacing so that i dont have to go nutstrying to figure out how to attach a surface to it thats inexpensive (i raly only plan on using it maybe once at the most) that i can download?? I tried downloading maxsurf, but i'm on a phoine line here and it was just plain huge (prolines) also, I dont have any need for sql server so it's not on my machine either.. any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated..
    Thank you
    Pam

15. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

I can GIVE you my copy of RHINO as I cant possibly learn it, you are welcome

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.