Best Free or Low Cost Marine Design Software? (2007)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Admin, Jan 25, 2007.

?

Which free or low cost hull modeling program(s) do you use?

1. Bearboat

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. BioDesign

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. BoatExpress

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  4. Carene

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Carlson Design Hull Designer

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  6. Free!ship

39 vote(s)
    58.2%
  7. DELFTship free

13 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. HullCAO

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  9. Hull Form Free Version

5 vote(s)
    7.5%
  10. PolyCAD

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  11. SDN

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  12. Other (please post below)

8 vote(s)
    11.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I've been following those discussions and I'm not sure I'd call them new Freeship development until I see a bit more respect for the GPL licence under which Freeship is protected. Once everyone participating there is clear on the terms of the licence and the sourcecode is being published under the same licence, it would be fair to call it a continued development of Freeship; as is, it looks more like an experimental pet project.

2. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Thank you MarshMat: I have downloaded FreeShip and have tried it as well as DelftShip. there seems to be little difference, both are good for designing fair, elegant hulls.

However, for a Vee-bottom hull the plank developments for the garboards consistently have straight or concave lower edges along the keel line. This must be incorrect as such edges can not be joined except on a hogged hull or a hull with negative deadrise. I find the same problem in files I have downloaded from the Delft web site. I never get this when I develop the planks on paper. For comparison, Carene always generates convex edges for similar bottoms which produce the expected shape when assembled. There must be an error in both FreeShip and DelftShip. I wonder if this is just the garboards or if the developments for the other plank are also incorrect.

Does anyone else have experience of using the plank developments provided by either program?

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

Delft and Freeship
    Tutorial is the most useful of any, Maxsurf assumes one knows something about Cad, totally useless to a beginner in my opinion, at least I created something, spent literally 100,s of hrs Maxsurf and got nowhere I really appreciate this gift that the boys In The Netherlands sent us. they deserve to do well, and if by some mysterious fluke I ever became proficient with CAD I would not hesitate in buying the programme before the others

4. Vernon

Vernon New Member

Does Free Ship allow you to Design smaller hulls as well? I have been using Paint.( Yes Paint, found in the accesories folder)

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

The smallest boat I've drawn in Freeship was 10 cm long. Accurate control of the point grid gets a bit difficult below an overall length of about a half-metre, though.

6. Vernon

Vernon New Member

:confused: How do i Download Freeship? It just downloads index, and leads me back to download it again. What do i need to do to download it.:confused:

7. Victor T

Victor T Senior Member

8. Vernon

Vernon New Member

Nope...Still Wont Work. I Guess I will Just Do Without ... BACK TO PAINT

9. northerncat

northerncat Senior Member

which of these is suitable for designing hard chined planing vessels
    sean

10. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Hard chines

Carene, carlson, polycad, as far as i know

The predecessor of DelftshipFree, Freeship is the best as some functionality has been removed in DelftshipFree.

11. ancient kayaker

The free version of Carene was limited to constant angle planks last time I tried it. Deft/Freeship is good if you format the horizontal lines in the control net to create creases; be wary of using more control points than you need horizontally but ensure you have what you need vertically; it's so quick you can learn by playing. Haven't tried the others.

12. northerncat

having now drawn up a hull is there any software that i can use to estimate how well it will move through the water while being pushed by a 60hp, in other words i want to play around with the beam for my hulls to get maximum planing, with maximum amount of v angle with maximum width of hull for stability and still be pushed by 60hp
    sean

13. northerncat

:) :) i liked carene for the weight calculations waterline heights, hullform for the ease of use and freeship for the pretty pictures:) :)
    sean

14. mbdezign

mbdezign New Member

This is for boat design, not an ad layout. Besides, both platforms will suffice. It's a poor craftsman who blaims his tools..l

15. ancient kayaker

Who was blaming what tool?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.