Autocad-Rhino-Hydromax?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leron, May 23, 2005.

1. Leron

Leron Junior Member

hello everyone. I'm a new member.:)
    Please excuse my bad english.

I have autocad 2005 and hydromax 9.52, and i need to do some hydrostatics calculations, but my problem is exporting dxf files into hydromax(or maxsurf), the autocad's dxf files just appear as markers in maxsurf, and i realize that dxf files don't works correctly into maxsurf, just as reference points(markers).

My question is, if exporting autocad's dxf files to rhino, and then rhino (iges) to maxsurf will works?.

If works, can I export a 3D view into rhino, and if rhino will give me the additional views (plan, body plan, profile)?. or which method is better (exporting each section from autocad to rhino?).

thanks for your reply.

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Many programs prefer older file versions, like DXF from AutoCAD 2000 or R14.
    I think it's a good idea to first import to Rhino, then rebuild all surfaces and export to Iges.

3. Leron

Leron Junior Member

thanks

Then my assumptions are correct. :idea:

Can you teel me wich method is best?:

-Exporting the entire hull surface (3D view) from autocad to rhino.

-Exporting each section from autocad to rhino, and then modelate the surface in rhino.

4. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

If the hull surface is modelled in AutoCAD it's difficult to know how fair it is, you can have a quite unfair surface that looks good on the screen. Then it will be best to export the sections to Rhino and use the loft command. You can also create some longitudinal curves in Rhino and check their curvature and adjust before you loft.

5. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

Raggi is correct, you need surfaces for hydromax, not DXF points or wireframes. The surfaces can be generated in Rhino or Maxsurf, but need to be written from Maxsurf as a Maxsurf design file to read into Hydromax.

6. archnav.de

archnav.de Senior Member

First question: Is, the AutoCAD surface a real freeform surface? 3D-DXF is not a surface or solid format. Try to save it as ACIS. Than look at the file in AutoCAD again. Insert ACIS, if you can see the surface now, then I can give you a hint how to manage the interface between Rhino and AutoCAD in a propper way.

Save the file in AutoCAD as ACIS, then go to steptools.com convert the file with the free service into .stp and import the file into Rhino.

If you can't save the file as ACIS then your file it is not a real surface.

7. hasicktear

hasicktear Junior Member

That's very hard. there isn't any simple way to convert dxf meshes to iges. Rhino has a command that converts a meshed model into iges but it converts each meshes on the meshed model to an iges surface.. Eventually there will be lots of iges surface and maxsurf will be forced.

Command : meshtonurb

I offer export all of the sections to rhino and then regenerate the hull shape in rhino.

8. DaveB

DaveB Senior Member

sections to hydromax

Dear Andrew,

I was under the impression that there was some way to input sections into hydromax from offsets, much like those used by GHS... Is this so? Was there ever such a utility?

I thought it was the kind of thing that you could do by cleaning up data in excel and then pasting into a table in hydromax.

Best regards,

Dave

9. Leron

Leron Junior Member

thanks

thank for your replies.
    Now I'm working with maxsurf and I have obtained good results, now I'm satisfied.
    Rhino is a very good software, but I underestimated Maxsurf capabilities. I was search for a fast way to translate a surface into Maxsurf without working with it.

Thanks again.

10. Andrew Mason

DaveB

Hydromax only works from surfaces at the moment which gives very good accuracy as there is no need to approximate the shape of the hull between offset stations and allows us to use very large numbers of sections where necessary to calculate the hydros.

We are working on adding input of offsets at the moment to satisfy those situations where a full surface model is not available, but we would like to do this in a way that does not compromise the accuracy of the calculations. This is not a trivial problem.

regards

Andrew

11. Leron

Leron Junior Member

Maxsurf

I hope Mr Andrew replies me.

As I said above I'm satisfied with maxsurf but i don't have much practice with it.
    I would like to know if you can tell me some links for tutorial of Maxsurf since the tutorial of maxsurf are very poor (for people like me that known the elemental tool of the software), I've been found tutorial about the creation of surfaces like bow shape but I can't find it.

is there any tutorial step by step about the design for a full ship or any procedure to do that, like "create a bulbous ship" or " step by step multihull surfaces", etc

another question, if there is no problem Mr Andrew. How read Hydromax the surfaces?, i.e., how Hydromax read the transom?, in the hydromax samples (folder by default) the ship doesn't have a transom, Hydromax assumes that there is a transom, is relevant to put it?

thanks for your attention and reply.

Regards

Leonardo PĂ©rez

12. Andrew Mason

Leonardo

We do not have a tutorial for putting together a full ship but I may do this when I return to my office (I'm on vacation at the moment). There is a tutorial for doing a multihull however.

Regarding the transom in Hydromax, it is not necessary as Hydromax does its integration using transverse sections through the hull. Unless the transom is sloping or curved it is not necessary to close off the aft end of the hull.

regards

Andrew

13. archnav.de

archnav.de Senior Member

Dear Andrew,

What are the exact interface possibilities for Hydromax? We don't like .igs for a lot of reasons.

We prefer Parasolid (.x_t) Acis (.sat) and Step (AP214). If you have this three formats availabele, you can act with this files in most 3CAD-Systems like native files.

Cheers

Bernd

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.