AutoCAD to DelftShip and back?

Discussion in 'Software' started by laukejas, Oct 9, 2012.

1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

OK.
    Do not hesitate to contact me if you think I can help.

1 person likes this.
  2. laukejas

laukejas Senior Member

Thanks. But in the meantime, if someone finds any working solution of AutoCAD to DelftShip (and back) file transfer, could you please tell?

3. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Laukejas could you show a list of the import files into the delftship you have. The drawing in post 13 could you post that file of the prism shape as a DWG and DXF so that the transfer files can be tested.

4. kvsgkvng

kvsgkvng Senior Member

If I may, the DXF format is nothing but a text file. DXF format has descriptors for various shapes, however for 3D point coordinates it is using old X-Y-Z notation. If you export points in Autocad, then you can import coordinates into Delftship. It would take a little time to connect those points, but certainly faster that searching for the perfect solution. Just try to open a DXF file with a notepad and you could see plain text. I would settle for a few iterations. JMHO.

5. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

Download a software rhinoceros and open this software a cad file and then save in iges format then you open in delftShip. From delftship you export your project to dxf file without any problem,

6. laukejas

laukejas Senior Member

Okay, I upgraded to AutoCAD 2012, and it has export in .iges, but DelftShip does corrupt the model, there are lines and stuff which wasn't in original design.

I exported hull mesh. Maybe I should export 3d Solid? Or something else?

7. quequen

quequen Senior Member

Laukejas, Delftship don't manage solids so you must check that your 3d entities are 3d surfaces. Also, you should use the Check command into Delftship and invert surface normals by hand if needed.
    Micspoco suggestion is the best, anyway if you don't have Rhino, you still can export to Delftship using .vrml (or .wrl) format. If your AutoCAD does not have this exporting option, there are many free converters from .dwg to .wrl (here an example: http://vrmlworks.crispen.org/convert.html). Delftship loves .wrl files!
    Just save your .dwg in an older AutoCAD version before converting.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.