Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 PM

Rep: 2014 Posts: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTeebs View Post
jehardiman: I had no idea AQWA produces pretty pictures, and I'm an expert in the tool!
? They had a visualizer back in 2007.

Anyway you are right about the highjack. I have a feeling this might be a case where the log is too big for the chainsaw and he will have to take an axe to it.
A vessel is nothing but a bunch of opinions and compromises held together by the faith of the builders and engineers that they did it correctly. Therefor the only thing a Naval Architect has to sell is his experiences.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:26 AM
AnomalyGenerator

Rep: 171 Posts: 228
I guess it depends on what you mean by "pretty" pictures

And, agreed. I'm interested in other tools you may have found. Accurate codes exist, they just require, you know, super computers.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Naval Architect

Rep: 10 Posts: 7
Sorry for the very late response, but thanks for all of the help. This topic has gone on the back burner for me as I'm still trying to find realistic damping characteristics for the fenders in the system. Does anyone know how/where to find appropriate beta values to go with the fender stiffness?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2013, 11:13 AM
AnomalyGenerator

Hi Mr. Parker,

Attached is a datasheet from Yokohama fenders. The datasheet columns lists things like nominal size, internal pressure and reaction forces. With some engineering work these can be converted to the fender parameters used in AQWA.

http://www.anchormarinehouston.com/c...okohama-fender
Attached Thumbnails
AQWA additional damping matrix problems-fenders-p50.jpg  
Old 02-11-2013, 02:31 AM
Naval Architect

Rep: 10 Posts: 7
Thanks CWTeebs. Would you be able to elaborate slightly on those methods please?

Old 02-11-2013, 09:40 AM
AnomalyGenerator

I haven't actually used fenders on industrial projects, so not really. If I was, and was presented this datasheet and had nothing else, I might try building a capsule shape in Rhino3D to represent the fender, attach a few control points and 'compress' it, calculate the volume for each compressed state, then using perhaps ideal gas and the pneumatic datasheet I provided above calculate force values at each compression state. These could then possibly then be interpolated and converted to fender coefficients in AQWA. I don't have AQWA in front of me at the moment and frankly don't remember offhand data it requires.