anybody help me for rhino

Discussion in 'Software' started by mechatics, Mar 25, 2005.

1. mechatics

mechatics Junior Member

dear all,

i am just new bee for marine design and just started working in rhino. i want to know how can i start the boat modeling and how first i make surface and all this thing. if anyone give me this initial information, it will great appreciation for me. and also great start of my carrer
    thank u

2. CgarciaDesign

CgarciaDesign Junior Member

Practice, practice, practice....

I began with just the programs like yourself and used the tutorials in the program. Having taken no classes for the programs will mean you'll work a little harder, but you can still practice....the tutorial will have the info you need. Try some of the sample works and/or follow along as they build something.

Good Luck

3. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Walk before you swim. ;-) Start at the beginning of the book and work your way to the back. You will find this much faster than learning the wrong way to do it and correcting the mistakes. Everything is there if you take the time to learn it.

Gary

4. mechatics

mechatics Junior Member

thank u

thank u gary and christopher for complain me. but i would like to know about hull surface creating for the boat and yatchts modeling. from how can i construct surface and lofting model. if u have any tutorials on this . can u pass me?
    thank again buddies

5. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

I have found that the best way to learn how to use Rhino is just to fiddle about with it for a few hours.

Simplistically, there are 4 ways to build a hull (sucessfully):

1) Use a matrix of control points. Command - SrfControlPtGrid
    2) Start from offsets and use a surface point matrix. Command - SrfPtGrid
    3) Loft it from known sections. Command - Loft
    4) Sweep along 2 rail curves with a few sections. Command - Sweep2

These are probably the main commands to learn, but you'll probably need EdgeSrf ; NetworkSrf ; Split and Trim before too long.

Look either at the manual or the online help.

Good Luck,

Tim B.

6. CGN

CGN Senior Member

7. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

That's quite a good site.

The essence of the hull-definition method described uses Loft and RebuildSrf. This is fine, except for the discrepancies between the final smooth surface, and the origenal accurate surface that you were trying to model in the first place. However, for illustrative purposes it is quite adequate.

Cheers, Tim B.

8. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Be ware that you won't be able to match 100% a boat that you have in paper to the final surfaces in rhino, nothing wrong with this, just don't expend all the time trying to match your lines plan (paper) to the surfaces in rhino, even coming form other software's as a dxf., at the end is all about practice.

I personally don't use lofting trough sections, it works, but I prefer more to do "pull" surfaces to match any set of stations that I can be reproducing. I think is faster less fairing time and IMO faster results.

there is other tutorial here in the forum about modeling a sailboat, is really good, if somebody in the forum recall this post, please provide the link, also, if you search around the forum you will find a lot of references and tips for rhino.

good luck, and post your questions on the software section of the forum.

Attached Files:

9. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

Hi Tim,

Would you be willing to go into more detail about how you create the point co ordinates to begin with?

Someone else on this forum (sorry I forget who, or where) has mentioned a method whereby he somehow generates a table of co ordinates in (excell?) from the ratios and numbers that make the hull (Cp, curve areas, etc etc). The co ordinates are then imported into Rhino (?) to create a point cloud.
    Is that something like what you are referring to?

Mechatics, as Gary suggests start at the front of the book and work your way to the back. Rhino is quite an intuitave program to learn. You wil probably find after doing one or two of the tuts. you will be off chasing your own ideas. :)

Cheers,
    Rob

10. cgorton

cgorton Junior Member

Not sure about creating the table of offsets from the coefficients of form, but to get a point cloud from an xls file is really simple. Enter the x, y, z, coordinates in the spreadsheet (x in column a, y in column b, etc.) Save it as a tab delimited text file. Then just open that file from Rhino and you points at all the x, y, z coordinates.

Craig

11. mechatics

mechatics Junior Member

ya great buddy, i just started it from scratch and i got some tuts also.
    may i ask u about use of rhino marine with rhino and how it's efficient. i never tried before that's why i have some doubts becasue if it's good then i going to buy cd of rhino marine design tutorial cd that cost me about 75$. i just wana know it will worth or not.
    thanks

12. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

Hi Craig,

thats cool I'v never played with excell/rhino before - I'v just spent the last half hour drawing things in excell.
    Thanks for that.
    It seem to be possible to create a point cloud from some basic parameters in excell.
    However it needs more knowledge of excell, and a deeper understanding of how the various parameters interact with each other (and I imagine a healthy dose of maths...)

Rob

13. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

The way I play it is to guess (experience / rules / similar boats) the hull coefficients, then with a pad of paper next to me, I work out the draught (easy if you know lwl, displacement, Cb and guess a Bwl) and simply build a surface (in X,Z from control points) between -L/2 and +L/2. I take Z=0 as the Dwl (seems sensible) then pull the control points around until I have something that looks nice.

With the first stage complete, I check the basic hydrostats (Cb, Cp, Cm + GMt etc.) at the design displacement, and then teak the hull-form until the parameters match. That done, the hull is then faired.

This works fine for yachts, is ok for powerboats (be ready to use lots of points for the chine) and is hopeless for large cargo-ships.

Once the canoe body is done, the keel/bulb/rudder etc can all be added as separate entities.

I find this the freest way to design.... others may disagree.
    Hope this helps,

Tim B.

14. Mario

Mario Junior Member

Someone else on this forum (sorry I forget who, or where) has mentioned a method whereby he somehow generates a table of co ordinates in (excell?) from the ratios and numbers that make the hull (Cp, curve areas, etc etc). The co ordinates are then imported into Rhino (?) to create a point cloud.

It seems to me you mean about the SWL method , see thread http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?p=20544#post20544

15. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

Hi Tim,

Sorry for not replying sooner, I'v been away.

What do you mean by "and simply build a surface (in X,Z from control points) between -L/2 and +L/2." ?

Where do the control points come from to begin with?

Thanks for your time,
    Rob

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.