3D PDFs

Discussion in 'Software' started by dreamer, Jan 3, 2010.

1. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Mike I agree about using the pdf for general marketing but for an existing client to show the general design with out the need for them to have a lot of software, it would help. On the other hand, animation is the perfect tool as you can do a lot with fly rounds rather than just rotate. The other big plus is you can render the animation rather than just shading which gives a far better look and feel.

Attached Files:

2. yipster

yipster designer

oh mappings, always liked drawing lines even patches better, but mappings, o they are so sweet..
    seems 3d pdf only accepts basic primitives to map as can be seen on the console whenyou zoom in on my maptest pdf a page back
    think thats why google scetch up works better with mappings
    heres a tutorial i found how to do a jouney into places your mother told you never to go
    http://www.acrobatusers.com/auc/content/tutorials/id_2023/index.html
    http://www.acrobatusers.com/auc/content/tutorials/id_2038/index.html
    at http://3dpdf.blogspot.com/ ah flash AND 3d pdf

3. Windvang

Windvang Yacht Designer

bhnautica

How dit you make that dolphin animation, with Bongo?

The 3d-pdf is not only usefull for clients, but also for builders, those winding stairs are much easier to explain in 3d.

4. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Windvang yes I used bongo just a 100 frames that’s why it’s so quick but small file size. I drew a curve around the dolphin then set view constraints to, target to object and camera to path. The animation was then rendered using flamingo using a surface material with a gloss. You can then import this into a video editor and add fade in’s an out’s, titles or slow it down. A rendered file looks good but make sure you have the animation as you want it as every frame will be rendered so how ever long it takes to render one shot will be multiplied by the number of frames. I have had some boat scene’s take many days to complete.

5. Samia

Samia Junior Member

Camera animation is already avaiable in 3D PDF files.
    The attached 3D PDF file shows automatic Camera navigation

Attached Files:

6. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

@samia

u used it as rhinoceros plugin , or other ?

7. Samia

Samia Junior Member

This model was generated using the SketchUp plug-in (which is fully compatible with the Rhino plug-in).
    I used the SketchUp plug-in because the model I have access to is a SketchUp model

8. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

As a CAD software reseller since the early 90s, the most commonly used formats for manufacturers involve viewers that are much more robust and typically include tools for doing very detailed interrogation of the model.

While 3D PDF is cool for sharing visualization, a tool like eDrawings is much more common in the industry.

The two links below use such a viewer. The first uses the free eDrawings viewer. The second uses 3D Via's free viewer. You will be prompted to install the plug-ins (unless they're already installed)

Since most of the players in industry have fairly robust computer hardware, there are typically no problems with these plug-ins. They work best on machines that use hardware OpenGL.

eDrawing version : http://sail2live.com/images/CA36PH.htm

3DVia version : http://sail2live.com/images/CA36PH.html

If you want to play around beyond this, feel free to cruise my image directory. Files that have '.easm' or '.eprt' or '.edrw' extension are eDrawings files:

http://sail2live.com/images/

9. Samia

Samia Junior Member

3D PDF serves a completely different purpose, as a Rhino designer the best way to share models will be to share them as 3DM files, Rhino can be used as a viewer for free, in this case the recipient can investigate the design, he/she can even make changes.

The target for the 3D PDF file is not a designer, not a manufacturer, but a buyer, or a potential customer who wants to know what you offer.

3D PDF allows you to show the model without sharing its details and without installing anything as acrobat reader is preinstalled on most machines, many people are inclined to install anything they are not fully aware of.

Also for visualization purposes I believe the price of 3DVIA composer and eDrawings is not justified.

10. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

eDrawings is free as is the 3DVia Viewer.

But your point is well taken. I would agree that this is more of a marketing tool than a 'design' tool.

However, with a fully modeled vessel, the PDF can become quite large. The test of an overall assembly produced a 65mb PDF file.

11. Samia

Samia Junior Member

You are right the viewers are free similar to the case of the Acrobat reader, I was talking about the authoring tools which are expensive.

Regarding the size of the output PDF file, this depends on the current tessellation of the model , you should be able to reduce the size of the file big time without losing significant details be reducing the tessellation

12. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.