3D model to drawing

Discussion in 'Software' started by LP, Dec 21, 2005.

1. LP

LP Flying Boatman

I've been dinking around with modeling software for a few years now. I've done some professional stuff with "Ideas" software. I've never had to create a the drawing though. Modeling a boat hull has proved inself to be an onerous task, but I've finally beaten my CAD software into submission.

Anyway, I'm present with the task of converting my model into an engineering drawing. I'm afraid that I may need to purchase different software for the task. My current modeling software is TurboCad V8.2. Please no guffaws from the peanut gallery. :p Before I go through the learning curve on this pitiful software, I was hoping for some input as to what others do and the products they use in regard to drawing production. I'm looking at upgrading Rhino, but I don't believe that will help me in this regard.

2. CGN

CGN Senior Member

What do you have?, solids like an ACIS type?, I see you mention TCad 8.2 is it the pro version?, do you have only the hull?, or all the boat parts?

1- From a 3D model, I just cut sections from my hull model and I use this sections to draw the structure, only if is an area or an assembly that is "tricky" then I model the parts using a 3D software that can model solids, and from there I can extract any view that I need and export it as dwg to a CAD software,

2- Use something like a MCAD (short version) and model the structure there, use the 2D drawing feature so I can extract whatever view or section I need. and once I have the 2D drawing with all views and sections export to a CAD program to finalize the dimensioning or text.

3- Use Rhino or TouchCAD to do it all, plus a CAD software

Try to model using a software that can save files like iges, Sat, Step etc..

FreeShip
    Prosurf
    CMS IntelliCAD
    Alibre
    Rhino3D

You can use TurboCAD to import the sections from the 3D model to do the engineering drawings and for a 3D software Rhino will be one of your best bet.

Cheers

3. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

I personally use Rhino to model the hull (at the moment until I get LMH sorted). Model the whole boat in 3D (in Rhino). Then take contours from the 3D model. I do all the detail in Rhino, then finally export it to Acorn's !Draw (on a StongARM RiscPC) or QCad under Linux.

QCad is a free AutoCAD-like 2D drawing program. Generally thuogh, I prefer !Draw, despite it's limited output capabilities.

Rhino v1 (and I think v2 but not sure) will run under the wine-20041019-mdk emulator, but not under later versions on Linux.

Rhino v3 and v4 will not run under Linux to my knowledge. I have spoken to McNeel's tech support and they assured my it was an interesting idea.

That's the way I do it,

Tim B.

4. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

BricsCAD IntelliCAD V6.2 runs on Linux.

I agree with CCGN and Tim, first model the boat in 3D (in Rhino for example) then section it where you wants frames or bulkheads.
    Make 2D working drawings in IntelliCAD or simmilar. Rhino V4 (to come next year?) will probably include more control of drawing output like line types and lineweights.
    For laser cutting or other cnc machining DXF or DWG is accepted by most shops, with Lines, Arcs and (often) Polylines, but not Splines.

5. LP

LP Flying Boatman

I'm using TC8.2 Pro. I assume it's an ACIS type. I've modeled the complete hull w/internal structure. It's a small O/B powered fishing skiff.

TC uses model space and a paper space. I've been using the model space for years and have only recently made an attempt to use paper space. When I start copying model views over to paper space, the file size seems to exponentiate and things start slowing down really fast. I created a copy with no part tree history which helps. TC documentation in this area is woefully inadequate. I'm at the point where I either need to suck it up and use what I got or find a product with a better user interface.

There is a section command in TC that will return a polyline of all of the surfaces that are intersected by the cutting plane, including the elements that were used to trim the object in the first place. It requires a bit of clean up to get a usable section cut.

If I want a cut away view, I have to copy the master model and "physically" trim away the undesired components. Again, massive increases in file size.

You'll have to forgive my naivete, but isn't modeling supposed to ease drawing production? Perhaps it is just the quality of my software. I would think that there would be a "cut view" type of command.

I'm not familiar with MCAD. I'm hoping to find Rhino under the tree this year. I've got a good handle on the modeling. It's the 2D developement (drawing creation) that has me stumbling and I'm just trying to get my bearings in that regard. I'm trying to figure out if the software is holding me back or if I've just bumped into the ol' learning curve.

When you "extract a view", you have to orient the viewport, but if there is structure blocking your view, does your software remove it by simple command or do you have to modify the model to remove that structure?

Good advice by everyone. Thanks for the input.

6. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Acis are good you will be able to export from Tcad to rhino and extract sections from there faster than Tcad

"isn't modeling supposed to ease drawing production? Perhaps it is just the quality of my software. I would think that there would be a "cut view" type of command. "

Yes and No, 3D came only to complicates things and ruin the life of many of us....but once you know how to work a system (way of produce and extract information form a 3D solid) it really makes things easier...it is painful, but once "There" is really nice to work such way, also I cannot say many good things about Tcad I don't find it that fast, but should be enough to do what you are looking for

you said that you have done all the model already, you can probably work the model this way:

1-Divide the boat in 3 or more "sections", for example export from "frame 0" to "frame 10" or all the bow and then the machinery space and then the aft to a new file and extract views as you like, this will reduce the file size and you will be able to handle better the model.

2- Put everything on layers this is not so much for paper space but for you to be able to turn on and off structure that can be on your way, also set a coding for all parts.

3- Think what you really want to extract or what you really need from the drawing, too many views and the drawing may become useless or just a waste of time.

using a MCAD, you can cut sections and lot's of more neat stuff, but still at some point still is necessary to take such drawings and export them to any CAD to finalize the actual 2D drawing, it works really good and is way easier than anything else (except shipconstructor or any software specialized for hull design).

Have a look at this link of Solid Edge, is not exactly shown for structures but it shows how a MCAD can extract and create views and sections from a 3D solid.

2D Drawing from a solid

http://www.solidedge.com/media/asxfiles/11_drafting_512x384-1.asx

Lot's of Demos on how an MCAD work (not all, but they work very similar)

http://www.solidedge.com/demos/default.htm

Cheers

7. LP

LP Flying Boatman

TurboCAD is a toy. I don't think that it is an efficient modeler. It's too fickle. I feel like I have to "trick" it into doing what I want.

MCAD?

I must have been a bad boy this year. Santa didn't bring me Rhino so I'm left to playing with my toy CAD system. I've dug up some TCAD tutorials so I'm going to concentrate on figuring out their "paperspace". Thanks for your input.

Regards,

8. CGN

CGN Senior Member

LP,

Alibre Xpress can help is for free and all you need to do is to save your model as acis solids and open the file in Alibre and use the 2D drawing tools, all for free.

9. Jack D Davis

Jack D Davis Junior Member

TurboCAD v11.1 Professional

I've used TCAD for several years to make 2D shop drawings in my door business. I decided to try modeling a boat with it and having never used it for any 3D modeling, I had a chore learning to use the new tools. Then I purchased V11 pro and it came with a 2D tutor and an optional 3D tutor was also available. Studying the 3D tutor made all the difference. While it didn't specifically show me how to madel a boat, it gave me enough to figure it out. Surprise.....it really wasn't all that difficult. I was able to draw my boat hull in 2D and draw a 3D model from the 2D drawing. This may be the hard way to do it, but experience is my teacher. A toy...it is not! Check this site to see TCADs capabilities... http://www.pbase.com/winstonmitchell/turbocad_renderings

You can see the results here:

http://www.hmds.ws/garvey_utility.htm

http://www.hmds.ws/Canoe.htm

10. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Apologies, apologies. I was afraid somebody might bite on that statement.

It might not be a toy, but I could never do any serious/professional design work with the silly thing. It crashes way too often and verges on being temperamental. I uploaded a model created with TC8.2 into Alibre as an ASIC model. There was incredible number of errors. Using the mend feature in the import process made the model unloadable. I let it "think" about the thing overnight and Alibre was still pondering the thing in the morning.

Maybe V11.0 is more stable. There are too many simple "things" that don't work like I think they should. Even in 2d drawing. I just find it hard to take TC seriously.

Regards

11. Jack D Davis

Jack D Davis Junior Member

Yes...V.11 pro is far superior to any previous version that I have used. And I have used several. Crashes are virtually non-existent especially after downloading the updates. 3D modeling is new to me and I had a little trouble mastering the concept. Even after sucessfully modeling a couple of simple boats, I have to go slow and think about what I'm doing......don't use it enough to be proficient, so I must re-learn as I do draw the next project. I can't make comparisons with other software. I began using TC very early on and have stayed with it. I'm too old to change now, so TC is my CAD program until the end of time. I'm just glad I figured out how to put a skin on those frames.

12. Caldera Boats

Caldera Boats Beer4Ballast......

I going to jump in here and give a shout out for Solidworks. Only second to Unigraphics, Solidworks will let you draw just about any type of drawing straight from the solid model. Solidworks will import all major solids, then all you need to do is click on 'make drawing from part or assembly', assign views and dimensions and your done.

13. hydroptera

hydroptera Junior Member

Modeling and CAD

LP:

You might look into VectorWorks for CAD and TouchCAD for modeling. They work great together. They work great apart, for that matter. As a former AutoCAD user I'd recommend both for ease and speed of use.

LM

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.