software for ISO 12215-5

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by TANSL, Feb 29, 2012.

1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Greetings to all. I developed an application that allows ships escatling according to ISO 12215-5, inside of the scope defined by this standard. The application is in the process of debugging, close to its final completion. There is a trial version that allows its use for 30 days. If any of you are interested in checking it, please,send me your email address and I'll send a link to allow you to download the application's installer program. Thank you for your interest.
    My e.mail : 657677483@orange.es
    Ignacio López

2. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Hi fcfc
    There are several applications in this regard. In addition to Classification Societies, which are often more demanding, I know "HullScant" by Wolfson Unit and the INCOMIA software. We need to compare them with each other and choose the one that best suits our needs. In my opinion, of course, my application, called SCT, is more manageable and more powerful than the others.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

30 days trial version of SCT

This link will allows you to download the 30 days trial SCT file
    http://www.yousendit.com/download/M3BtZEV5Z2doMlVVV01UQw
    SCT will allows you to calculate :
    - scantlings for any material, Glass, Carbon, Aramid, Wood, Metallics, according ISO 12215-5
    - ISO 12215-6 calculations, long. strength,...
    - ISO 12215-8 : rudders
    - Frames and continuous beams : fundations, masts, and any element comparable to a continuous beam.
    Your comments will help me in improving the application.
    Please,inform me of any questions or problems you may encounter when working with SCT.
    Ignacio López
    my e.mail : 657677483@orange.es

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

SCT Final Release

After several months working on the completion and debugging the application we are pleased to announce the release of the final version of SCT.
    Several independent professionals have been working with us, which allowed us to incorporate various suggestions from users and to fix certain bugs.
    The current version is available for all users of this website, for free, and can be downloaded using the link below:
    https://www.yousendit.com/download/M3BreFlhU1BENlEwTWRVag
    Earlier versions, contained in this section of the forum, have been removed from the network.
    SCT now incorporates:
    - ISO 12215-5
    - ISO 12215-6
    - ISO 12215-8
    Thank you all for your help.
    Ignacio Lopez

P.S. Feel free to ask me any query that you need.
    To obtain a permanent license you need to use the ACTIVATION procedure as described in the User Guide

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Hello everyone.
    4 months after starting this thread, there have been over 150 downloads of the SCT program.
    I suppose therefore that many of you have tested it. But I have not received any comments or complaints, which can only mean two things:
    - The program is so good that not need changes or improvements.
    - The program is so bad that it is considered impossible to operationalize, it is not worth worrying about it.
    Neither option seems reasonable, so I pray make me know comments or suggestions to make it a useful tool for the designer.
    Thanks for your help.

9. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

Dear Ignacio,

I think it like this:
    Those of us who are pro's, already are supplied with sufficient information and/or software.
    Those of us who are not pro's, don't give a !@#$$% or do not even know that such a thing like ISO exists for boats.
    Life can be cruel.

Cheers: Hakim Andreas

10. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Hi Hakim,
    I know that every professional has tools to calculate the scantlings of their projects, but when you MUST use the ISO standard, there are not many options. It is in this market sector, vessels must comply with ISO 12215, that my application is useful. SCT does not compete with the Rules of the Classification Societies for SCT works for a completely different sector.
    Furthermore, it appears that the ISO 12215-5, except when there are potential problems of buckling, has a softer approaches that of CS therefore results in lower scantlings which, when you want to reduce weight and labor, is very interesting.
    This is my opinion about it, although I can be wrong

11. groper

groper Senior Member

i tried your program, it was full of bugs and quickly became frustrated with it so i gave up...

have you tested this on multiple operating systems? i am using windows XP professional...

12. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Hi groper, thanks for your comment.
    SCT is ready to work with XP and Vista. There is a problem when installing on Windows 7 but can be corrected.
    I am aware that SCT has flaws that I find difficult to detect. Therefore I request your help
    Tell me, if you're so friendly, the SCT version you used (R8 is the last release) and some of the problems you found. Thanks, again, for your information

13. groper

groper Senior Member

i used the version downloaded a few days ago, i assume its the latest version...

First problem is that it was very slow to accept entries in the data fields, when you click on the data field to enter the values nothing happens for several seconds, then when the cursor finally appears you can type in the figures and press enter, sometimes the field does not close and you here the audible error chime, again it just hangs before closing that data field...

So if you continue on, changing more data fields down the column of your example file, you might get half way thru then suddenly the entire set of data you just entered dissappears and you can start again?!

I tried again a few times and quickly became frustrated, so i cant give you any further feedback beyond the basic first steps, as i did not want to waste anymore time with something that cannot even accept the data im giving it easily...

14. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I have tested the program on three computers, a normal PC, an HP workstation and a laptop and did not detect the problem. However, you are quite right. You're the second user who warns me of this problem. (By the way, I think the laptop is not suitable for SCT which needs a higher screen resolution)
    Your information is important because I believe I can detect the errors in the calculations, when there. Not so easy to detect that each user can experiment.
    In the next version is improved somewhat the introduction of data, and various other aspects. Thanks.
    NOTE : May not be sufficiently explained in the User Guide but you have double click on the table cell whose value you enter or change.

15. yades

yades Senior Member

Hi To You All

Sorry But Let Me Say.....i Don't Quite Understand Why The Program Has Not Been Inserted In The Software Or Spreadsheet Section For Any One To Use It freely if That Is The Case.....
    I Have For Instance Given The Opportunity To Anyone To Feel Free To Use The Spreadsheet "MAST AND RIG EVALUATION" Which Many People Has Agreed Been Extremely Useful And Quite In Line With Expectations As Far As Calculation Results Are Concerned And Rear To Find In The Net...... Many People Have Also Express Gratitude For Such A Possibility Being Available To Our Community And I Feel Somewhat Rewarded For That....i Reiterate.....i Do Not Understand Why Such A Simple But Undoubtely Useful Program Is Not Available For Our Community..... Sorry Again But That Is What Is My Personal Believe.....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.