software for ISO 12215-5

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by TANSL, Feb 29, 2012.

1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Hello, Yades, my friend,
    the program has not been included in the spreadsheet section because, among other things, it is not a simple spreadsheet but has many more uses. In addition, the space required for all files that are installed with the application is about 140 MB. I do not know if these two reasons adequately respond to your question.
    On the other hand, if you download it through my website, you have the option to learn more about what I do.
    I am currently offering the application free of charge to anyone who wants to download, with the intent to help me to debug, which is always a very laborious process. When I think the program is mature, I intend to market it. But that, for now, I do not care.
    You can check the User Manual, if you think fit, and then you could express opinions that surely will help me a lot.
    The program not only is already available to the community but I am saying repeatedly, please download it and tell me what you think about.
    Best Regards
    Ignacio López

2. yades

yades Senior Member

Got a message after installation procedure:

"YOUR TESTING PERIOD HAS EXPIRED" ...... hence can not activate it .....
    sorry

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

The attached file can be helpful for those who have the same problem as you.
    The trial period allows you to decide whether the application is worth or not worth it. If so, what is right is to request activation for a permanent license. This can be provided even if the trial period expired.
    Thanks for your efforts.
    (R-9 version of SCT is at your disposal from my web site)

Attached Files:

4. yades

yades Senior Member

something wrong !!?? got some cyrillic characters !!??#?.......

Attached Files:

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Hi Yades,
    SCT currently supports English, Spanish and Russian.
    One example that is installed with the application has been created in Russian.
    When you select an existing project, SCT automatically detects the language that has been created and all the menus, buttons, messages,etc.. are translated into that language.
    You may have selected the example prepared in Russian. As your computer, I suppose, not Cyrillic, what you actually get are some strange characters, as your Windows interprets the true Cyrillic characters.
    No problem, select another example.
    If you prefer to contact me by e.mail: 657677483@orange.es
    The e.mail allows to exchange files and information in a more agile way.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Sct R.10

An error in the Spanish version of ISO 12215-5-2008, published by AENOR, has resulted in the calculation of the pressure on the sides for sailboats, PSS, which was on our application SCT is incorrect. The new version SCT R.10, which you can download from our website, corrects this error and fixes other bugs.
    If you already have installed SCT R.9, simply request a new SCT.exe file that will send you by e.mail, to replace the previous one.
    For all those that are using the standard from AENOR, note that the correct formula (22) of Chapter 8.2.2 is:
    PSS = [PDS BASE + (Kz x (PBS BASE - BASE PDS))] x Kar x KDC x kL

7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Iso 12217-1

To complement my SCT program, I have the pleasure of offering you a worksheet to help you complete the forms required by ISO 12217-1 for stability and buoyancy, non-sailing vessels over 6 m in length.
    Are being prepared ISO 12217-2 and 3.
    I greatly appreciate your comments.

Attached Files:

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I can offer some suggestions on the simple spelling area for the User Guide

Page 1 : "we will se later" = we will see later

Page 2 :
    "New Study: opens a secondary Windows to get the directory,
    identification and any other data for the new study." = secondary window

9. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I can offer some suggestions on the simple spelling area for the User Guide

Page 1 : "we will se later" = we will see later

Page 2 :
    1. "New Study: opens a secondary Windows to get the directory,
    identification and any other data for the new study." = secondary window
    2. "Delete History : deletes the list (not the projects) with the last used
    projects." = incomprehensible
    3. "Calculation of Beams : opens the modulus to calculate frames and continuous beams." = incomprehensible
    4. "“Preferences”, that IS DIFFERENT THAN the one we have just described,"
    = incomprehensible

Page 3: "The window to work with scantlings looks like in the image, with two differentiate areas :" = incomprehensible

Page 4:
    1. "In many cases, there is no other solution that do it manually" = In many cases, there is no other solution than to do it manually
    2. "its distance from the App" = {what is an App ?}
    3. "is “Displacement” or “Planning” type." = is “Displacement” or “Planing” type.

Fix these and I will do some more editing.

There is nothing that flags your application as immature as much as a poorly assembled user manual.

For potential testers, your user manual is of critical importance. The current manual is very simplistic, and has obviously been written by the developers as an afterthought. If you want proper uptake of the software, you need to adopt a much more sophisticated approach.

10. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

rwatson, thanks for your comment. Immediately I will correct these errors. Clearly spelling mistakes do not say anything good about the quality of my English. The user interface and manual are vitally important for any application that pretends to be a bit serious. Thanks, again.
    I am also interested to know if anyone has found errors in calculations or if someone comes up with to introduce improvements in the implementation.
    Greetings to all and please, your feed back is appreciated.

11. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I was fast and the correction is here. I hope I have improved. RWATSON, you can go now, thanks.

Attached Files:

12. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

13. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

OK. lets look at this for a bit of fun.

Page 1
    "tries to help the designer in the scantling of small crafts, according the ISO
    Standard 12215-5, inside the scope defined by it self"

Pretty hard to comprehend - try

"tries to help the designer WITH the scantling DESIGN of small craft ( no S), according TO the ISO Standard 12215-5,"

The phrase " inside the scope defined by it self" is meaningless. Its meaning is already stated in the previous sentence.

Page 3
    "called type “MDI”,
    maybe you can explain MDI since you mention it
    eg "multiple document interface, MDI is one whose windows reside under a single parent window."

"This window has its owns heading menus" - should be
    "This window has its own heading menus"

Page 2

"introduce the new study data, directory, identification."

English is OK, but nowhere in the manual do you explain these foreign terms, What is a "study data", "identification". These terms are not clear to a non-expert.
    You need a Glossary of Terms at the end of the manual, providing a definition of special concepts.

"Calculation of Beams : opens the modulus to calculate frames and continuous beams."
    you probably mean
    "Calculation of Beams : opens the WINDOW to calculate frames and continuous beams."

Page 5
    "Just we have to act, with the mouse left button, over the row which data we need to introduce :" - makes little sense.

"For this reason, the label in the left of the text box, showS not only the item to be introduced but also its correct units." - needs an s after show.

"Besides of these facilities, not all the boxes in the table are to be fulfilled by the User, well "
    should be
    "Besides all these facilities, not all the boxes may be edited by the User"

I notice on Page 10, that you now have a WORKING PROCEDURE.
    Thats a great start.

"The application carries out this task with no more than to act
    on the toolbar’s button indicated in annexed figure."
    how about
    "The application carries out this task when 'click' the toolbars button, as illustrated in Figure ###"

You will need a figure number on each illustration, and a Glossary of Illustrations, cross referenced to the document. (see attached)

Page 12
    "it would be preferable to consult to any distributor of the application to add or modify materials." should be
    "it would be preferable to consult WITH any distributor of THIS application to add or modify materials." and provide a reason for this.

Page 15
    "have practical data about how much weights, per sqm"
    should be
    "have practical data about how much weight per sqm"

Page 17
    "Minimun dry fibre mass por the lay-up"
    should be
    "Minimum dry fibre mass for the lay-up

I will have to download the application now, and test it, just for fun :)

Attached Files:

14. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

rwatson, thanks for your clarification. Of course I will correct immediately all those grammatical errors. This type of collaboration was what I asked all users of this forum. So again, thank you very much.
    I should clarify that, to use my application, it is necessary to know the ISO 12215 standard, which defines the basic principles to perform the scantlings of a vessel. Although intended to help. SCT can not teach how to calculate the structure of a ship, just a tool to do some calculations, the user must know.
    I hope the technical analysis that you're starting now allows you to also help me to correct defects, if any.
    You have fun while helps me a lot. Thank you.
    (I apologize for my English. Hopefully be better with the calculations tan with languages​​)

15. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

That is the problem with engineers, their english is not as good as their calculations. Same with doctors, we trust them with our life yet we can barely read their handwriting.:p

Speaking of comments, not necessarily English, here are some.

In the materials section, may I suggest that you use terms more common or consistent with the traditional way of identifying the type of materials. I know BV and LR have different preferences for identifying its materials and I am sure you are familiar with these. For brevity, here are the most common explanations.

ROVINGS or Tow is a bundle of continuous filaments (fibers) commonly used in the filament winding technology. It comes in spools. Very rarely used in boats except as local reinforcements in sharp corners.

UD or Uni or UDR is a collection of rovings arranged in a unidirectional way. It can be stitched uni or adhesively bonded.

WR (Woven Roving) is an interlaced arrangement of rovings woven in the traditional way of 0/90 degree angle. Weaving can be plain (one strand after another) or others such as basket, twill, satin, harness satin. (for all practical purposes, WR is enough unless in depth composite analysis is used)

DB (double bias) or Bi ax as the name implies is a “bias direction” meaning, it is at an angle to the longitudinal direction in the +45/-45 degree. A DBM is a double bias with mat for the traditional boatbuilder who prefers to interspace the DB with a light mat fabric. *Note that the term BD (bi directional) has fallen into misuse with coming of Biax fabics as it is confusing.

TRIAXIAL or triax has 3 directions usually in the 0/45/90 degree direction. No commonly (read popular) accepted code yet.

CSM is a common name for Chopped Strand Mat or Continous Roving Mat. A random arrangement of short chopped strands or continuous fibers.

MAT is a common name but can refer to a SM (surfacing mat, veil, tissue) or a Reinforcing Mat. CSM is more specific since it is structural.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.