MCA compliance / GL class & insurance

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by expedition, Oct 17, 2007.

1. expedition

expedition Thorwald Westmaas

Is it really true that being classed as a yacht or have proof of MCA compliance really takes a big bite out of the insurance premium?

We're converting a trawler into an expedition yacht and I have asked some insurance companies but they said either it would make no difference or didn't know what I was talking about.

Of course, I have to explain I'm in Panama, hardly the center of yacht insurance:rolleyes: but, an increasing # of yachts are under Panamanian flag.

Are there any insurance companies that have a more global approach to yacht insurance and understand the value of a vessel being under class?

Regards,

Thorwald Westmaas

Attached Files:

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

It would probably make a difference in the UK or Commonwealth countries, but in Panama? I don't think so. I don't know if Panama even has a standards organization for yachts, or any requirement that you build to a specific standard. If they do and if they will then accept MCA as meeting their standard, then maybe insurance companys in Panama will give you a break. Otherwise register it in the British Virgin Islands and insure it there. They require yachts to be classed and meet MCA.

3. expedition

expedition Thorwald Westmaas

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the feedback. I doesn't really matter for Panama. the rules here are, well, let's just say it's Panama. Our goal to be MCA compliant is more born out of our desire to have a safe vessel and increae its resale value than to meet any specific insurance requirements.

But we'll have a lot of practical advantages under Panamanian flag if we spend most of our time there.

Thorwald

4. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Try an European insurance company like Pantaenius or better, a British one like Lloyds. They shoud know what is MCA.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.