Lifeboat Design Standards & Regulations

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by Guest625101138, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

I wish to determine how a boat can be registered as a lifeboat.

Can it simply meet given design standards or is there some form of type testing required? If testing is involved, what authorites can perform the testing?

Also is it necessary for a life boat to carry a life raft to be considered seaworthy?

My interest in the question is in regard to Spanish coastguard and/or authorites they recognise.

Rick W.

2. charlierossiter

charlierossiter Junior Member

Are you talking ship's lifeboat or SAR craft?

3. Guest625101138

Lifeboat.
    Rick W.

4. charlierossiter

charlierossiter Junior Member

Hello Rick
    They always used to be approved by Classification Societies on behalf of flag state.
    The Lloyds Surveyor who approved them used to sit behind me. Either the task was quite easy or he was very clever because he managed to spend half the day literally asleep at his desk!
    Good luck
    Charlie

5. Guest625101138

Charlie
    Do you have any idea of the standard they were approved to? It seems like your colleague never actually witnessed any testing or was he recovering from a liquid lunch after a liquid launch!

I have seen video showing testing of the lifeboats used on the oil rigs where they are dropped from a crane holding them about 50ft above the water. I was wondering if this sort of test is a required type test or just a demo that the design criteria results in a suitably strong craft.

Here is a launch of a lifeboat:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unnovzCTtY4&feature=related
    I have seen video of these boats dropped from much greater height.

Rick W.

6. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

lifeboat

I believe S.O.L.A.S. has standards for this because I see lifeboats for sale that are S.O.L.A.S. approved. Stan

7. Guest625101138

Stan
    That it what I was looking for. I will try to get into the SOLAS regulations to see what they offer.
    Rick W.

8. Ike

Ike Senior Member

9. Guest625101138

Has anyone worked their way through LSA Code 2003? Does it provide a useful basis for lifeboat design?

Also is anyone here currently involved with compliance and/or testing authorities working to this Code? Do all LSAs need to undergo a type test or does the code allow exceptions for one-off design?

Rick W.

10. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

lifeboat regulations

Rick, I know that one reg. was color-using international yellow-but also found out they gave exceptions to liners to use white. Stan

11. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Shortly: Normally it will be type approval to consider, as testing will involve sideways stroke test, and drop test, fully loaded.... flooding, capsizing, consumption, speed, etc..
    Spain is a member of EU, thus accepting the "wheel marking" (Equivalent to CE marking, but other requirements) for equipment manufactured/ produced under LSA/ SOLAS. Spanish authorities may (probably) add some extra requirements.

Life raft will not be needed, as a lifeboat and liferaft both are life saving appliances.

For a "one off" design, I think it will be (way) too expensive....

btw; used to work here; www.norsafe.no with design, certification, and testing... Still miss part of the crashing, capsizing, handling bit, some of the chaps working there can really handle a (fast rescue) boat.

12. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Rick,
    In Spain rules the Marine Equipment Directive 96/98/CE as amended, regarding safety equipment aboard ships. Lifeboats and Rescue boats have to be SOLAS approved (IMO’s Life-Saving Appliances Code) and duly marked with the Wheel mark. The Conformity Assessment has to be carried out by a Notified Body.

Some interesting links:
    http://www.amem.at/pdf/AMEM_Communication_009.pdf
    http://eur-lex.europa.eu/smartapi/c...numdoc&lg=EN&numdoc=31996L0098&model=guichett
    http://www.imo.org/Safety/mainframe.asp?topic_id=1368

13. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

What Guillermo states is correct.
    A one off design, can (or may) be certified in accordance to the requirements stated for module "G" if i recall correctly.
    The Code (LSA/ Life saving appliances) states what requirement to meet for the spesific equipment (Marine safety comitee (MSC) 48(66)) and how testing shall be performed (MSC 81(70)).
    During testing, the boat may receive some damage, however these damages shall not make the boat "useless" if you get my meaning. But from a sales (or buyers) position, cosmetic damages can make the boat in question "unsellable".

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.