Which CODE?

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by Tevens, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Tevens

Tevens Junior Member

For a proposed vessel of 30m, which is going to be designed wich lloyds SSC which yacht code(which will include stablity criteria) will be best applicable?

2. Tevens

Tevens Junior Member

the vessel will be operating far far offshore

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

CE category A

4. Tevens

Tevens Junior Member

is there a link to that specifically? all i have found is the :
    A: OCEAN -- Designed for extended voyages where condition may exceed wind
    force 8 (Beaufort scale) and wave height of 4 m (13.0 ft) .
    Is this part of the recreational craft?
    The vessel in question is not for recreational usage. do you have a link to the stability criteria of that code?

5. Farley

Farley Junior Member

I have been having pretty similar problem. I don't know which code to use in conjunction with the SSC. I need to find suitable stability criteria for my vessel to have to pass, does any one know where i can find the yacht codes or know which would be the best code to use? the vessel is going to be a private vessel not for rereational use and will require unlimited travel area.

6. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Depends where the vessel is being flagged and what waters she'll by sailing in. Makes a difference...

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You posted "Yacht" which in the UK would be a recreational vessel. What is the intended use?

8. Tevens

Tevens Junior Member

research / expedition vessel

9. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

LR rules on Yacths

Pt 3, Ch 1.1.1 The rules apply to sea going motor, sailing and auxillary craft of normal form, proportions and speed, generally not exceeding a scantling length of 150 meters.
    And
    Pt 4 Ch 1.1.8 Yachts over 24 meters overall length, LOA maybe the subject of National or International regulations concerning constructions, safety and manning and compliance with these regulations is the responsibility of the Owners and the Builders.------

There has been a discussion on the applicable rule here on BD forum titled "Which Rule?" sometime in July. I beleive the LR rule can be downloaded from this forum or a link is provided.

However, Research/Expedition vessel is not a yacht or a pleasure craft.

10. RAraujo

RAraujo Senior Member - Naval Architect

For a Research/Expedition vessel you should use MSC.266(84) Code on Special Purpose Ships (conditioned to the acceptance of the flag state).

Note the applicability of the LR SSC Rules:

■ Section 2
    Scope of the Rules
    2.1 Applicable craft types

2.1.1 The Rules are applicable to the following craft types constructed from steel, aluminium alloy, composite materials or combinations of these materials:
    (a) High speed craft.
    (b) Light displacement craft.
    (c) Multi-hull craft.
    (d) Yachts of overall length, LOA, 24 m or greater.
    (e) Craft with draught to depth ratio less than or equal to 0,55.

2.1.2 The following craft types will be considered upon request on the basis of the Rules:
    (a) Amphibious air cushion vehicles.
    (b) Rigid inflatable boats.
    (c) Hydrofoil craft.
    (d) Foil assisted craft.
    (e) Craft as defined 2.1.1(a) to (e) constructed from wood or wood/composite combinations.
    (f) Other craft constructed from composite materials.
    (g) Craft with a Rule length, LR, less than 24 m and draught to depth ratio greater than 0,55.

UNQUOTE

11. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

RAraujo,

Which set of rules does Tevens have to use? LR has two sets of rules. One for Special Service (SSC) and one for Ships. Or both has to be referenced?

Rx

12. RAraujo

RAraujo Senior Member - Naval Architect

The only things we know is that it is a 30m deep sea research/expedition vessel. This is not enough to decide the applicable Rules.

If Tevens could give some more information (e.g. hull material, speed)...

And there are more Rules which can be applied (unless there is a specific requirement for LR).

Is the vessel supposed to be classed? If so a discussion with the Classification Society would be beneficial (and it can be done generally free of charge).

Rodrigo

13. nemo

nemo Naval Architect

Is it a research vessel or a yacht? If it is a research vessel I'm afraid it will have to comply with SOLAS (although there will be many not applicable items as the boat is under 500GT), if it is a Commercial Yacht, then I would recommend to comply with the MCA LY2 code. Although you didn't specify the Flag, the code is recognized by most of them.
    I strongly advise to try going for a Short Range vessel, as it is allowed by the LY2, because you won't have to comply with damage stability. I am doubtful that you will be able to subdivide a 30m yacht so that it passes those criterias. Also, surely the range of this boat is not enough to allow ocean-going expeditions!
    CE rules are not applicable to vessels >24m.
    Besides, I wouldn't choose LR SSC for such a small vessel, as it may imply too many constraints and lead to a heavier boat, if compared to other Class rules like ABS.

14. nemo

nemo Naval Architect

How long is the boat? Assuming it is more than 24m... there are no statutory stability requirements for a private vessel!! However, LR SSC has its own requirements, you will have to comply with them.

15. Tevens

Tevens Junior Member

the vessel is going to have a very large range, cruise speed of 12knots, max of 20. made out of aluminium.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.