Aluminium crew boat

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by athvas, Jul 23, 2013.

1. athvas

athvas Senior Member

Could anyone tell me where can i get US coast guard rules and regulations of 40mtr Aluminium crew boat ?

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Oddly enough, the US Coast Guard!:
    http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg521/

Funny that...:eek:

3. athvas

athvas Senior Member

Dear Adhoc

Can i use these for foreign vessels visiting US ports ? or any specific rules for foreign vessels.......

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

What does it say in the vessels specification?...and there is your answer!

5. athvas

athvas Senior Member

specification says vessel shall comply with USCG regulations for foreign vessels visiting US ports.

6. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

You NEVER accept that kind of reference in a spec. You need to ask the specifier to provide you the copies of the USCG specifications that he wants you comply with or call them out one by one in a list. Date of issue or version should be stated. "Current version" doesn't cut it. On the other-hand, this kind of wording can sometimes be usefully gamed in your favor. That's a decision for the corporate lawyer types, though. The only person that can tell you what a spec means is the person who wrote the spec. Get them to do their job. Don't expect the USCG to do it for them. You should not have to do anything other than copy and paste in order to order your references. If the buyer needs help preparing a spec, he needs to buy that help. Don't let it get fobbed off on the bidder- it's not their job.

This is what happens when the customer has more clout than the builder. Companies that are faced with that situation need a customer service dept that can nursemaid the spec writing process to improve their chances without giving their expertise away for free.

As a former spec writer, I was not above dropping a blivet into a spec to get a conversation started with bidders I wasn't familiar with. It's nice to establish a problem solving method using a problem you already know the solution to.

7. athvas

athvas Senior Member

Dear Sir

Thanks for your advice

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.