1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

Sailboat Mold - Starship 7.3 (no longer available)

Discussion in 'Boat Molds' started by dwfil, Mar 31, 2014.

1. dwfil

dwfil New Member

I hate to do it but I must, I will give these molds to the first person that can come get them.

For sale are molds and tooling for a trailer-able 23-1/2' sailboat that was to be called the Starship 7.3. The hull design is very close to a swing keel Ericson 23. The first hull built is still in the mold with the liner design (plug construction for the mold) built in it. The deck has been sitting outside for several years and will require some polishing and stiffening work to get it ready for a part. The deck mold was pulled from the plug and never had a part built from it. The designer was John Fillip in San Angelo, Texas. This was his dream of building a large cabin sailboat. He worked on this boat when he had time but unfortunately his time ran out. He was a master mold builder and sailboat manufacturer. Some of his boats are the Starfish, Viper, and Tornado. He also built some of the first fiberglass Thistles. I'm a very motivated seller and will entertain any and all offers. I am familiar with Mr. Fillip's intended design for this boat and can help you establish the little details needed to complete the tooling.

If someone is interested please contact me soon. I must remove the molds from the property and it is looking more like they could end up in the dump. It would be a shame to dump fine tooling such as this. I now have the deck mold sitting on a 16' low sided #7K capacity utility trailer with the bow hanging over the back of the trailer. It pulls nice on the 16' trailer but a little longer one would be better. I believe the hull mold will need a flat bed 24' #12K trailer. Having a hull in the mold with the liner plug tooling mostly completed is a heavy load.

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  2. dwfil

dwfil New Member

A sad day. Molds have been taken to the dump. The guys at the landfill will be the only ones to see the one and only hull if it pops out while the mold is being crushed.

Attached Files:

3. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Sorry to see that, the end of a dream.

4. PiscesMarine

PiscesMarine New Member

What a shame...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.