1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

14' + 16' 8" fiberglass canoe molds for sale or trade

Discussion in 'Boat Molds' started by christian1470, Mar 29, 2008.

1. christian1470

christian1470 Junior Member

I have two molds for sale, one is a symmetrical 14' +/- recreational with mostly flat bottom, full length keel and two shorter bilge keels molded in. The second is a 16'8" asymmetrical with slightly rounded bottom tripper/expedition type mold.
    The 14 appears to be in excellent shape, the sixteen will need a small amount of work to produce a flawless hull as it has two or three dings in what would be the bottom of the canoe.
    I acquired these with the thought of building myself a canoe and possibly getting into the business but the reality is I already have an ok canoe, too many boats, too many projects and a girlfriend who wants these out of the yard.
    If I understand correctly, a mold is worth 3X the price of a finished hull. That puts the full commercial value of these two molds at $4000. I'm not looking for anything near that.
    Ideally I would like to trade for a very good running 6-10 hp 20" shaft outboard, preferably a 4 stroke with charging capacity but clean two strokes are ok, too (for my seafarer kestrel 22 I'm currently restoring) or, as a long shot, a 5 speed VW Cabriolet or, even better, a Rabbit convertible(older the better) in running condition(doesn't need to be perfect just a good runner with an OK top, some rust is acceptable(for the girlfriend).
    Otherwise, all offers will be considered. Also, I might take a bare hull produced from the 16' mold as partial payment. Finally, I'd like to see these go as a set. The molds are located in New Bedford, MA. Pics available on request.
    email me direct at christian1470@comcast.net or call 508-971-6598

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

im requesting pics,,,,please post,,,,

3. christian1470

canoe mold pictures

these are the 14

Attached Files:

4. christian1470

16' pictures

hull photos

Attached Files:

5. christian1470

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

o.k.,,,,where do these come from,,just because if someone "made" them from a already marketed boat,,,there could be some pretty stiff "laws" to contend with,,least they look home-made to me cause they have no support for any real use in a production boat,,and are they in as bad of shape as they look?cause the pic of the 14 had water on it so its hard to tell from pic if its all water or that and other thingys
    and please dont take my questions personally,,i know ALOT of people in maine that love the canoe'n thing,,but as stated before,,,,the law would be a problem if they tried to sell 1 made from "someone elses" boat plans.
    and Thanks man ;)

7. christian1470

OK....I don't know a lot about these molds except that they were used by a high school in Mass for a number of years until the helmet and respirator powers that be...namely, OSHA, decided that the precious little snowflakes of America were too delicate to be exposed to a little polyester. Soooo, a teacher saved them from the dumpster. I aquired them from him. He had no info other than the "used by the local highschool" part, and yes, I asked. He, and thus I, have no idea.
    As for condition, I'm not the best guy to ask. Although I did spend some time doing marine fiberglass repair as a professional after hurricane Bob(and even replaced most of one side of a formosa 41...a hurricane gift that carried myself around the world) I've never layed a hull. I do have a slightly more than rudementary understanding of the process.
    The 14 looks to me like it could pop out a serviceable hull as is. The 16, aside from the dings described and photographed, looks OK to me.
    As far as shapes, I'm not about to pretend that the 14 is anything other than it is; a safe, easy boat for teens or one or two "fit" adults to paddle around the pond in search of largemouths or whatever or some green water day tripping. The sixteen has a relatively advanced hull shape. Fine entry, SLIGHTLY rounded bottom, a max beam aft of center and very little rocker and no keel. The beam on both I believe is about 38", but I'll have to check that. It's definately a step up from my 16' lincoln, which is why I put the option of a bare hull as partial trade. Before the lincoln I had a 16' "racing" canoe of similar shape but slightly less volume that served extremely well for canoecamping on lake superior. I was the only one paddling solo but kept up with the group with no worries. In short, it looks to be a fast, manageable hull and well worth the time it would take for the necessary repairs, which in my estimation, are pretty simple.
    In summation: Considering the lack of history, and as you say, the lack of professionalism, I would not expect anyone to take these molds and proceed with a nationwide sales program. I don't expect that they would hold up to that kind of build schedule. However, if one were to market themselves as "the local canoe guy" (as I considered) with a combination of spec and " to order" boats, one could do pretty well, specially if it were "on the side" with some other already up and running lay up business.
    As I mentioned earlier, I considered it myself, but aside from the aforementioned projects as well as two preexisting careers in wooden boat restoration and chainsaw carving, I live on the coast, and their isn't all that much call for canoes. I'd do much better with a dinghy mold.
    So yeah, there you go. Pretty much all I can say about these. Like I said, I'm open to all offers. Tell me what you're willing to pay(or trade) and we'll go from there. I have no pie in the sky expectations. All I know is that a smart man in the right location could make a profit, or a slightly less smart person could buy them for his personal use and spend a lot more than it costs to get a used canoe all set to go BUT acheive the much sought after satisfaction of saying "I built it myself", and perhaps build a few for his friends. (I know this because my lincoln came from a yard sale held up the road from "Wooden Boat headquarters" in brooklyn every year on the weekend of eggemoggin...I paid $80 with paddles-OH yeah, we also won overall that year. Go Siren! Can't beat it with a stick!)
    From the trades I'm willing to accept, one could deduce that I'm looking for somewhere between $800-$1200 for the pair of them. From what I'm about to say right now, you may deduce that the right guy(i.e. an honest someone willing to provide one bare hull and some cash) might get them for a lot less....specially if you actually took the time to read through the entirety of this long post.
    Christian

8. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

there hehe,,,finally a VERY good description,,Thanks man ;)
    now that its all "legal",,i'll ask them dudes a few states from ya,,
    if they were for me i wouldnt care,,,but old people get mad when they go to jail hehe ;)
    and dammit,,,i did read the whole post,,,just took me 3 days hehe ;)
    Thanks again man fer all the info,,,you just need to relize that ALOT of people come on here to sell things,,and like molds,, they think they can make a mold from their boat,,then sell to someone that doesnt know how much trouble it can cause.,, then they get mad if you ask questions. I mus say,,you've done great,, and its VERY appreciated, Thanks
    Jim

9. hoskinson

hoskinson New Member

canoes

do you still have them? Thanks, Jeff

10. christian1470

the canoe molds have been sold

These molds have been sold
    thanks,
    Christian

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.