Is the wood structural?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by howlnmad, Aug 21, 2010.

1. howlnmad

howlnmad New Member

I am arguing with people on another boat forum about stringers. The arguement is whether or not the wood in a 32' B'liners stringers is structural. I say no, am I wrong? I know wood was used because of availability and cost. Would foam, corecell or even waxed cardboard work? Sorry if this is a played out topic but I think I'm right and tired of the arguement but to stubborn to let it go. Thanks in advance.

Bill

ps... I'm not a pro but I am a jack of all trades and master of none. Just love boats.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Stringers add strength and depending on their placement may help prevent what I call tin-canning, or flexing of hull floor. Therefore, I consider them structural. If they didn't strengthen the hull, they would then be a wasted additional weight.

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Right Hoyt!

4. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

I think the question is whether or not the core material adds to the strength,
    and if so how much.

Frank

5. howlnmad

howlnmad New Member

Frank,

That is exactly my point. I know the stringers are an important strength factor. I am argueing the core material. I believe the core , whether wood or synthetic, is there to hold the glass until it sets. I believe that if it was structural, it wouldn't have to be bedded to prevent damaging hard spots.

Bill

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

It can be either way. Glass helps protect the wood and tie it into the hull so it acts as a structural component. But with enough glass you don't need the wood. You can find out by letting the stringers rot. If the deck gets soft and saggy or you have other problems, the stringers were providing structure.

Most of the time the wood and glass work together for the required strength.

It's also based on economy, not necessarily on what's best.

The structure wood adds is also not only in being hard to bend when it's edgewise, if the glass is also adding structure, the wood helps prevent it from collapsing sideways and the whole "beam" buckling.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

In a Bayliner the wood is structural. It also is where the engine mount fasteners hold to. A foam core would not give enough material thickness for the lagscrews to hold.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.