Windmill in the Roaring Forties

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wendy, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Wendy

Wendy New Member

Can anyone help please?
    My father read a magazine article (possibly Yachting Monthly or Yachts and Yachting) written in the 1950's or 60's. It concerned two South African brothers who designed a windmill powered catamaran. The brothers were called Van der Vries(?). The boat had a paddle wheel between the hulls which was driven by a horizontal feathering windmill. They sailed the vessel through the Roaring Forties. My father has been trying to get a copy of this article or any information about this for years. Any information would be gratefully received.

2. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

I cannot find the article in question, anywhere on the net, and I'm not old enough to have that magazine laying around, unfortunately.

The only thing I coudl find is about a modern version, but it's rather small and definately not for going through the roaring forties.

http://home.triad.rr.com/boatbarn/jrwindm.htm

Anyways, good luck, I hope you find it for him.

Andre

3. dimitarp

dimitarp Junior Member

Windmill as sail

Every wind mill ( wind turbine) can wark as sail, and you can use it for sailing.

4. icetreader

icetreader Senior Member

5. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

They would have to go upwind to power the device. Not a good scenario in heavy weather for a cat.

6. Windmaster

Windmaster Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.