WHY Willy Wants to Work for Wally

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Willallison, Sep 23, 2009.

1. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

No, Tad, it's not some kind of tri-swath.... from what the folks at Wally have let slip so far, the thing is a monohull. A big, spade-shaped, monohull.

Remember, it's not a 'boat' or 'yacht' in the way we normally use those terms. It's a slightly mobile substitute for a private island. It won't appeal to people wanting a proper yacht, and isn't meant to.

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

In that case,
    one can say it is a successful design! It did´nt............:D

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

They are obviously doing well
    you must be making money if you can afford to have staff sit around all day long drawing "concept designs"

must be nice ;)

4. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Here would be a likely anchorage.
    [​IMG]

5. mark775

mark775 Guest

Last I heard, that place in UAI ran out of money part way through and is waiting for an uptick in oil...or three.

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

you are quite correct

Two months ago, my wife was stopped over there on a business trip to India, the entire construction operations of ALL SITES has come to a stop, the hotels are empty and all foreigners are kicked out. We have a friend that ran a engineering consulting office there, he and 50 of his engineers are back in Saffa unemployed - tragic.

7. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

You gentlemen disappoint me.;)
    Granted, this is not for everyone - even if we could all afford the cost. But it is far more than the results of some over-enthusiastic but under-qualified young computer geek. It is based on a proven commercial platform (Ramform) pic below. And if you had any doubts about Wally's seriousness about the project, take a look at the film on their site... building a full-size mock-up of something this size is the sort of thing you do if you're just after a bit of publicity....
    I think it's great to see a big boat with a top speed of 14 knots - rather than the current typical 20+ and one which makes use of realistic currently available 'green' technology. I'll take mine in ...... silver

Attached Files:

8. BWD

BWD Senior Member

Wally impress but this big pizza slice and the green BS does not:
    How much co2 (isn't that what they're on about?) emitted to construct such a big POS before it hits the water?
    How many M gallons h2o polluted to make all those solar cells (which will likely only last a few years anyway)?
    & etc., etc.

With that much pollution, one could surely have a normal yacht of similar length but more sane beam and power it around all over until thoroughly bored. To make it "greener" give it some sails for the delivery trips -midteen speeds should be easily achieveable.
    In the end scrapping it would have less impact and you'd have seen more of the world.

This thing seems mostly interesting in a "schoolboy fantasy" way, really. Speaking of which see
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/stability/crazy-30meter-beam-stability-question-19342.html
    Or as pointed out elsewhere, it would do as a **** set.

PS: I still think mine would kick its butt, but fortunately will never exist in the real world!

Attached Files:

9. wardd

wardd Senior Member

say your the captain of something like this, do you use your real name when you go ashore?

10. BWD

BWD Senior Member

And how about the owner?
    And perhaps one should also ask, do you use your real name aboard the "yacht"?

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

And how about the surveyor? Does he use his real name when he approves this floating tenement building?

12. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

I don`t get it , the point being ?:confused:

13. netjaws

netjaws Junior Member

I've been following Wally for some time, and always enjoyed their concept and innovation.

But to be honest, the WHY has to be the dumbest, most stupid f***ing thing I've ever seen. Anyone with any actual blue water experience will tell instantly that it is fit for nothing, but for airy Sunday afternoon dockside tea parties.

I feel bad posting this -- for everything else Wally's done to date, seemed absolutely out of this world.

14. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

In that light , is it really that bad ?

I`m with you Willallison , I think it shows imagination.

Unfortunately I fear your`e right there.

On the other hand ,( assuming this does not get past mockup and is not built ), what`s the likelyhood the same well heeled group of jet setters take up residence on land ( or anywhere for that matter ) without consuming the same resources albeit in a more " conventional "
    megamansion ?.......

originally Posted by BWD

[/quote]
    But to be honest, the WHY has to be the dumbest, most stupid f***ing thing I've ever seen. Anyone with any actual blue water experience will tell instantly that it is fit for nothing, but for airy Sunday afternoon dockside tea parties....................

I feel bad posting this -- for everything else Wally's done to date, seemed absolutely out of this world.[/quote]

I thought it WAS for "airy Sunday afternoon dockside tea parties"....................:D

15. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Well, they should do well then as that seems to be what 99% of boats do.

You rarely see boats actually being used, drive past a marina sometime and have a look.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.