Why are my rudders so ineffective ? (pwc converted to propeller)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by avi8r, Feb 18, 2008.

1. avi8r

avi8r Junior Member

stalking pheasants ???? what do you have against poor people ?? :p :p

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Like your humour David, :D those who use PHEA, (as opposed to pe), are fair game, and who would miss such a snob? - it is almost as up-them-selves in arrogance as changing their name from "Mat" to "Maaaaaate".....:D - seems like the sort of target "the1much" would aim at too:D:D:D:D

3. SaltOntheBrain

SaltOntheBrain Senior Member

Here you go.

This is a lot easier than the 1000 words.

Attached Files:

4. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Congratulations, David. 103 mph PWC ...... Fantastic achievement!

Most of the "official" boat speed records seem to base classes on hull type. There might be some basis for creating a class for a 3 point hydro/PWC hybrid, but for now, I think the v hull PWC record is for you.

BTW, to respond to your last question on the rudder; I think sharpening the bottom of the rudder blade should help reduce both drag and lift.

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Good fun if you can get it, Nice bit of pigmeat - dogs should eat well... the Pheasants should make a good feed for you guys & families...

6. avi8r

avi8r Junior Member

Thanks guys :D

At that speed hanging on does become difficult :D

Attached Files:

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I have this thing about going over 100MPH, I dont like it. I start to worry a bit about stuff like did I tighten the rudder or did I sign the will properly.

Do you have an ambulance or St john standing by. At least a camp bed and a mop to clean the blood up with.

A young man like you should be carrying a donars card. Lots of nice fresh organs with no tarmac stuck to them ,--just a bit damp.;)

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Frosty, You are a grumpy old misery guts, Didn't you get your beer ration or smile from the barmaid?

Congratulate the bloke for doing what he wants & enjoying it, as I congratulate for doing what you want and enjoying it - grumpy old boat person - can't call you "*******" as I don't know if you are, or deserve the additional praise...:D

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I have modified my post.

Any way I used to do all that stuff , well equivelent . I just see danger easier/more these days.

Donald Cambell use to have a small bear called Mr Moppet, I dont know why. Any way they found that before they found him. Oops getting grumpy again.

Third EDIT

I am congratulating the bloke,-- hes done well ,--a great job. I guess what im saying in my way ,--is be carefull with the bloody thing.

10. masalai

masalai masalai

See, its not so difficult to be schizophrenic, (sort of dual personality - but that will do in our case) :D,

Charlie or someone will correct me and tell me of the ancient god who was able to be nice & sweet on one side/hand and a right ******* on the other - - :D:D - Hey I like this thought - "like me - 'Grumpy old *******' and also happily full of smiles & praise too" - - - :D:D:D

avi8r thanks for the borrow of your thread - hope it was entertaining? - 5hit, , , , & I am all out of "Rep points" for both :D:D:D ::::: :::::

11. avi8r

avi8r Junior Member

Frosty isnt being grumpy.... the way he said make sure there is a mop to clean up with... it touched my heart, I can tell he said it with love and affection to his fellow boater friend :D

What about me? when do I get a turn with barmaid ..... owwwwwwwwww I just got popped in back of head.. I guess I should have made sure my wife wasnt reading my post as I was typing :p

I dont think it was an ancient god.. I think it was a man after flies with sh#$t in one hand and sugar in other ;)

This thread went from informative, to fun and informative :D life is good (until my organs get damp ) ;)

1 person likes this.
  12. masalai

masalai masalai

Good onya avi8r, I would post more "rep" points, Honest. . . . . . . . . and I have done so:D, Sorry I do not know any barmaids, Frosty has all the good looking ones looking after himself - maybe he has a spare of two??????

13. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Hey mas,

Nice and sweet on one hand, and a right ******* on the other?? Pretty much describes all the old gods. We've known Frosty was a multiple personality for years.

Avi8r/David said it well; thread started informative, then went to fun and informative. (Note that the fun started right after he posted a photo of his wife :D ).

BTW, I love that username, avi84. Native American cultures (according to Hollywood, anyway) would likely name him Flies Over Water.

Anyway, if that 3 point hydro/Pwc hybrid thingy ever gets going, it could the world's first WIG PWC.

And if avi8r's organs ever get damp, at least he'll have the consolation of knowing an entire forum is now waiting to comfort his widow. :D :D :D

14. avi8r

avi8r Junior Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Gotta tell you... thats not a comforting thought

15. avi8r

avi8r Junior Member

Back to work (again )
    Ive done everything except sharpen the bottom. I will test it tomorrow like this and then determine how it reacts. The dial caliper is set at 2inches for reference.
    Before starting grinding and cutting, rudder weighed 25.2 lbs
    after cutting, thinning and sharpening it now weighs 16.3 lbs

I will post my results. I can move it up and down 1in in housing if needed. Will move it up to highest setting and take 1in off at a time until go too far, then drop it down 1 in in the mount and fine tune from there.... sound ok ?

David Bunn
    [​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.