Who likes my roof extension

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by the brain, Feb 3, 2017.

1. the brain

the brain Senior Member

Who likes my roof extension
    approshement diemensions are 80" width X 12" raised cection X 5' depth

Toy’s are us pole cleaner poles
    Fabbed brackets
    Waterphroof fabric color olive green (a very lightish green)

I'm currentely on phase 2 where I stabilize the uprights holding the telescoping pole w/ fabbed angle.

I am very anxious to throw some marine fabric on this thing, I intend to add at minium a middle surport rod that clips in when roof is fulley extended.

idealialley I like a crank mechanizium to extend and contract I have a old patio umbrella w/ a builtin mechanizium will have to check if it can be reused for my roof.

edit OH BTW I slapped up a net/entey holder while I was slapping up the roof extension.

I'm definitely slapping up a grabrail above door/wall probablley 1/2" aluimin tube.

what do you Guys think

Attached Files:

2. the brain

the brain Senior Member

what do you Guys think of roof extension?

3. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Certainly looks functional.

Though it appears that you've some sharp edges that could be a safty issue on a moving boat.

[Captain Obvious] Light grinding before polishing with an emery cloth would solve that and may give them some shine too. For actual protective polish I don't know if Johnson Paste wax is suitable for use on the outside of a boat but it is great for shining/protecting the aluminum/cast iron of my powertools (like my Shopsmith, where it also helps lubricate the tubes the head slides on). [/Captain Obvious]

4. JSL

JSL Senior Member

- Yes, avoid sharp corners. 1" min radius
    - Watch the weight. and weight of anything (holders, mast, radar?, "stuff" etc)you add.
    - make sure there is adequate diagonal support aft. In a seaway any rolling will put torque loads on the top and can literally twist it off the windshield framework.

5. the brain

the brain Senior Member

update

Attached Files:

• NT1.jpg
      NT1.jpg
      File size:
      305.5 KB
      Views:
    • NT2.jpg
      NT2.jpg
      File size:
      260.2 KB
      Views:
    • NT3.jpg
      NT3.jpg
      File size:
      294 KB
      Views:
  6. JSL

JSL Senior Member

It may not be an issue but in the event you get any backdraft ["station wagon effect"]fit a CO detector. Especially if you plan to fit side curtains.

7. the brain

the brain Senior Member

yes I do plan to fit side curtains zippered under top, snapped to bottom, my next curtain will be the aft. w/ a 4'Wx3' H inzeiglass.

did you see the other thread on the new side window.
    TB

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.