who can use software to build a design..

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Verytricky, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

I can not.

I do have drawings though. I guess I could hire someone to create the CAD drawings for me if I gave them the design drawings I have?

Thoughts?

2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Simple answer: Yes!
    :)

3. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Simple job, depending on how far you want to go.
    But, unless you want CNC files, why would you want them converted to CAD?

4. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

CAD drawings (3D model) can simplify calculations of weight, stability, hydrostatics.

5. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

OK, you guys are going to have to type slowly, so I can catch up. My idea of CAD ment it was on the computer. I race boats, not computers. I can logon to the internet and download pictures, and that is about as far as my graphics knowledge goes... :(

Essentially I want to be able to have a 'thing' which allows me to look at the boat and rotate it and see that it looks like it should look.

Later I would like to have a thing that lets me slice the boat up in to 32 slices lengthwise and about 8 slices width wise, so I could build a 5 foot model of it.

Right now I have drawn on paper 10 slices accross the width of the boat, and one slice from front to back in the middle. I can get these scanned and provide them as JPG files.

These could be enough to build a model, but I want to refine things first before I build the model. Once I have the idea finished, I then would like more slices to get a better picture.

6. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Are these 'slices' of a design you have done yourselve. If so, the slices across the boat and the one down the centre line would be enough to construct a 3D computer model of the boat.

I think you are over estimating the number of slices you will need to build a 5ft model, unless there are some really odd features on this boat.

7. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

Yes, these slices are my own work.

I drew the profile of the boat to the best scale I could, then I placed my first 'slice' through the drivers head, then used that as the base template, and used tracing paper to work backwards, changing the shape the way I wanted, then did the same from the driver towards the front.

The anti stuff nose will be intricate.

The wings will also be intricate.

This is why I thought I would need more slices, as the current drawings dont show the picture in my brain.

8. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

If the design only really exists in your head, than transferring it to the computer is not really the next step. Somehow you will have to 'realise' it in some fashion on paper in a way that the computer driver will understand.

Or perhpas you will need to liaise with (employ) a designer to help with more of this process.

Have you got a book like John Teal's 'How to design a Boat' ? It is a pretty succinct description of how to represent a boat's shape on paper. The established methods work pretty well, and it sounds to me like you are trying to develop your own method for this.

9. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

I will look into the book.

Alternately we do have some boat designers in the UK..

10. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Is this for the June 2008 RBR? If so, what class had you got in mind?

11. yipster

yipster designer

verytricky: "Essentially I want to be able to have a 'thing' which allows me to look at the boat and rotate it and see that it looks like it should look."

i have a "thing" ( choice of 4 secretary voices) that reads my e-mail but like speech, real time 3d viewing never really took off.

google did not answer what standard and when 3d viewing in their browser will be possible
    acrobat now has for about 1000 some 3d posibility's in PDF and yes there are other 3d viewers but i found VRML the easyest free 3d viewer

never did much with VRML but if you like have a look after downloading the viewer and version converter
    http://www.parallelgraphics.com/products/cortona/download/iexplore/ for the free viewer
    http://www.parallelgraphics.com/products/cortona/converter/iexplore/ for the vesion converter

viewer is safe and wont tilt your pc, open the file than butterfly icon and permit explorer to read it, its a bumpy ride but works fine

for rotating a VRML 3d model the study and turnbuttons are easyest to start with also richtklick mouse, put on lichts or other scenes etc

most boatdesign programs have VRML export but god only knows why we never see more use of it

one more thing; if it looks like, quaks and walks like a duck it probably is
    but we guy's can do more on our pc's so now show your drawings

got to run

Attached Files:

• vrml.gif
      vrml.gif
      File size:
      110.2 KB
      Views:
  12. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

This boat is aimed towards some long distance record attempts in and around Europe. It would not be a regular race boat unless the 'HOTBOAT' series takes off. It has three crew, two driver stations side by side in front with full dual controls, and a naviguessor seat in the back behind the drivers.

RBR will not allow canopied boats.

As I will not go faster than 20 miles an hour without a canopy, I doubt that I will be taking part - short of the organisers realising they are being really stupid. Accidents happen, and in an enduro race like RBR people will be tired, people will make mistakes, the sea *will* get rough and accidents will occur, boats will rollover.

Hitting the sea at anything approaching a proper race speed = broken bones, head injuries and possibly death. Then we are talking rescue attempts to an injured crew, or body recovery.

Doing the same in a proper canopied boat = getting wet. Then rescuing yourself, as you are still able to do so.

But this is a whole another story.

It would be a wonderful RBR raceboat, but the canopy/safety cell will be an integral part of the design, and IMO the most critical component of the whole boat. Cutting the roof off as suggested by the RBR organisers is simply never going to happen.

13. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

As always.....:D
    ( need a thumbs up emoticon here )

14. yipster

yipster designer

i was merely complaining when a pc will make my caffee :D

15. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

All English speaking PC's can already do so. It must be the Dutch ones at fault?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.