Who is Athol Burns?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by designnovice, Jun 30, 2011.

1. JSL

JSL Senior Member

Athol is not a common name but there is the Athol Peninsula on Saltspring Is. in BC

2. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Most any U.S. machinist will know of tools made by the LS Starrett company. Starrett is headquartered in Athol, Massachusetts.

3. L D Aitcheson

L D Aitcheson Lindsay

Hi I have just purchased Matahui. Just wondering where you found the plans that you posted. Do you have any other information on Matahui. Thanks Lindsay

4. wayne nicol

wayne nicol Senior Member

sadly, i do see the humour in this legendary mans name, but even funnier was rayman's response (post no 7) calling cutonce smartarse- now that is one whitty play on words!!
    athols burning and arses smarting... oh well..
    we knew a family in south africa, whose last name was Downs, they had two kids, the boy named Neal, and a girl named Ida- cruel parents to be sure!!

5. rayman

rayman Senior Member

Wayne, I worked for a while with a guy named Dick Trikell and was good friends with Noel Street who lived in "Noel Street" in a town here in Qld.
    and all the best to the new owner of "Matahui" look after her and she will look after you.
    rayman

6. wayne nicol

wayne nicol Senior Member

7. Ed Tadzik

Ed Tadzik New Member

Athol Burns Christina

Christina Athol Burns 26 foot cutter rigged. Have been asked to add to this forum and hope it clarifies a mystery of the two boats named Christina. I bought my "Christina" in Lovett Bay Pittwater Sydney 1988 with the dream of cruising/sailing to Oslo Norway. I registered her with Australian Ships Register ON854474 "Christina" and I am the 10th owner. She was built for Kevin Krack by Ned Jack on the Tamar River Launceston Tasmania to Athol Burns design, approx 1954. I was originally given the date 1947 which I do not think is correct. When I bought her she was named Christina, many years later I found out she was originally named Christine. I left Pittwater single handed 1992 and arrived in Oslo 1997, a fantastic sailing adventure via the Suez. In December 2014 my Christina arrived in Port Kembla Australia from Norway on a Ro Ro vessel and last week was placed on a mooring in Pittwater.....20 meters from where I left. Myself and family have decided to move from Norway to Sydney. If anyone wants any more info regarding my Athol Burns Christina please take contact.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  8. fredrosse

fredrosse USACE Steam

Names

"we knew a family in south africa, whose last name was Downs, they had two kids, the boy named Neal, and a girl named Ida- cruel parents to be sure!!"

Just one more, back in 1969 when I started working at Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics (US Navy Submarines), I was introduced to a co-worker, Tony Edge. Looking up his phone number in the company directory, he was listed as " Anthony C Edge". Sure enough, Anthony Clifford Edge, what were his parents thinking?

9. Phil Christieso

Phil Christieso Junior Member

My wife and I own Windora, an Athol Burns design and we are well into a second circumnavigation. She is by far the finest sailing vessel he designed. She is 50' OA, 43' OD and 6'6" draft, weighs 20 ton and has been built immensely strong. She easily attains 10 knots under sail and regularly does 200 mile days. Windora is powered by a 6B Cummins, swinging a 28X17 4-blade fixed prop which allows her to punch into some serious weather.

Contact yachtwindora@hotmail.com

10. bill moe

bill moe New Member

Hello, I am the lucky owner of the 26ft burns cutter, the Christina. I live on Gabriola isl,BC,Canada. I bought the boat after googling 26footers on yacht world. online. unseen. I got stuck in your country for 5 mths hoping to sail it back. and save some dough. But your weather down there is and can be incredibly rough, to put it mildly. I shipped it back. the boat sits on a mooring in Silva Bay. gabriola isl. I have steadily gone over the entire boat making upgrades,and always being respectful of the original design. the boat has all new glass,new heaters. opening companion doors,etc, etc,and i recently rebuilt the engine head. The boat is a undisputed jewell and i expect i will keep it to the end. I am happy to keep this boat connected with its history. At present the west coast of Canada is starting to appreciate the incredible work of MR Burns. Enjoy your day. Regards, Bill

11. bill moe

bill moe New Member

christina

Hello. I own the yacht christina. presently moored on gabriola isl, bc. canada. I bought the boat almost 5 yrs ago. online. unseen,yachtworld.com. couldn't sail it back so i shipped it. The boat is being maintained bristol fashion,and lovingly cared for. A real beauty.

12. bill moe

bill moe New Member

26ft cutter christina

100_3237.JPG

100_3348.JPG

100_3320.JPG

100_3572.JPG

100_3577.JPG

some recent fotos of the 26 ft burns cutter[formerly known as the Christina,,now known as the Victory] gabriola isl,bc,canada

13. bill moe

bill moe New Member

Hello ed tadzik, any fotos of your 26ft `christina`?

14. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Nice boat,Bill.

You may notice Ed was on here but once,and that was 18 months ago-so I suggest sending him a PM or googling his address.

15. Phil Christieso

Phil Christieso Junior Member

A look at Windora

Athol Burns yacht Windora

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.