Where in the UK is the speed limit not 4 mph?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by pistnbroke, Sep 30, 2009.

1. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Not sure where to put this but may have to return to the uk and canals at 4 mph does my head when we can do 40 knots here in australia on the river

so there it is do I bring the propski ?

Attached Files:

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

What river is that ?

It aint the Yarra, or the muddy ditch besides Brisbane, or within 50 metres of a jetty etc etc.

I just want to know where you will be so I arnt there in my canoe!

Bloody jetskiers !!!!!! :mad:

3. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Well if you opened your eyes (_!_) you would see its not a jetski and not resticted to any PWC regulations its reg as a Sport boat...... ( and a triumph of boat re design !!! )

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Of course its a jetski - just because it has an outboard motor doesnt change a thing (except the centre of gravity),

Those regs apply to ALL boats, not just PWC's. If you didnt know that, all the more reason to stay away from you :)

5. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Where ignorance is bliss.........a PWC has a sealed supperstructure such that if it turns over water does not enter the hull .....If this turns over water does enter the hull ..hence the top man at Queensland transport says its a sport boat .......(_!_) Any way a boats a boat so why be so perjudiced ..(_!_)

so how did that answer my question about UK 4 mph limit ??? (_!_) ???

PS we have ballast ....and the hull profile has been re formed to be boatlike ...

Attached Files:

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Read the regs? of MSQ? at a guess up Noosa way - - I tried to plough the Yarra once but could not get traction in the tractor as the rent-a-crowd were out on a "noise-abatement-society-meeting" making more noise than I could, even if I took off the exhaust manifold:D:D:D

7. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Read my previous e mail ...top man at MSQ says its a sport boat ...( officer )

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

The answer is "There is nowhere in the civilised world you can do 40 knots on a river without endangering innocent lives ", so stop your complaining ;)

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Mr Watson, the "famous" annual bridge to bridge ski race is usually up in the 100kmh range and ABOVE in a Northern N.S.W. - - RIVER - - and they need to practice somewhere? and the boats are NOT of the open waters type:D:D but that is avoiding the initial question? - maybe Frosty can answer or "Safewalrus" is bored and reading this? or one of the other pommie members? I am sort of curious too -

I know a couple of cat sailors who get the "big stink-boat pilots" pissed off because they are restricted to 4 knots in the Gold Coast waterways but sail boats, being dependant on the wind can and do exceed that limit significantly - so - it depends on what you travel and how...

10. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Top Gear has the answer.

Challenge: The presenters race each other across London to try and beat the London rush hour traffic towards London City Airport. Clarkson drove a powerboat on the Thames, but had to go slowly first, Hammond used a Specialized Sirrus Limited carbon fibre bicycle, May drove a Mercedes GL 500 (ending up paying the congestion charge) and the Stig used public transport (buses, the Tube and the DLR). Hammond came first, Clarkson a close second, the Stig third and May last. Fearful that this result would ruin the reputation of cars and Top Gear in general, the presenters therefore facetiously disregard the results. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_(series_10)

As a matter of interest and in contrast, on the tidal Thames above Wandsworth Bridge there is a speed limit of 8 knots through the water. Below Wandsworth Bridge there is no limit but 10 knots is regarded as a safe speed.
    http://www.the-river-thames.co.uk/navigation.htm#four

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Thanks Pericles, What is the general situation re speed rules like canals 4Kn, some rivers 4, 8, 10kn sheltered bays? open waters? special restricted areas?

12. yipster

yipster designer

saw that top gear episode but forgot the results. did not google earth up the airport but see Wandsworth Bridge is right smack in the middle of londen

13. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Where in the UK is the speed limit not 4 mph?

where it is safe to do so...without causes harm or potential accidents or a nuisance to others. Open sea for starters. Inland water ways are very crowded in the UK.

14. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Really supprised that people who do not know the answer are jumping in and giving comments not related to the question . always regarded boatdesign as the professional web site .....I know the limit on the noosa river is 40 kts but I agree its too fast to know whats going on around you ...I usually cruise at 25 kts in my 16ft /90 hP and the propski will easy do 40 but we use it as a harley davidson ...look at the hand controls ....we cruise ...
    so if you know the answer be specific ..which rivers where ...etc

15. yipster

yipster designer

to be specific there are a lot of rivers and inland waterway's and speed limits often vary by the km / mile so thats no short reply.
    here in holland its mandatory to have 2 bibles aboard with all the info on legislature, speed, dept, radio freqency's marinas and a lot more
    guess its similar in the uk and down there but dont know how how jetsky's do it.
    there's also inland waterway software of witch i got an older version that covers it all http://www.noordersoft.com/indexen.html
    and to Ad Hoc, even at sea i met swimmers in the med miles out of the beech with 40knt, so stay alert on the wheel