Where in the UK is the speed limit not 4 mph?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by pistnbroke, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I am surprised you can go as fast as that on a canal. The rhetoric jumps freely from canals to rivers to open estuaries.

Skiing and racing is still on my local river and on others in allocated areas and yes we have to tolerate the ubiquitous jet ski or even bodged up look like ones.

No you cant go screaming up canals at 40 MPH be sensible.

Thats why we have to keep making laws for those who don't understand and make tiny changes then consider themselves special.

2. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Brian,

Harbours post speed limits, but elsewhere!!!:)

http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/default.aspx?page=display&nodeid=1864

Back in the 1980s, I board sailed & Lasered out from Brightlingsea Sailing Club. We all exceeded the speed limit, but the Coastguard figured that as we were racing, we were best left alone. Brightlingsea Creek Buoy (green) can be identified on Google, just northwest of Point Clear in the muddy water of the main channel.
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Bri...code_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CAkQ8gEwAA

That buoy marked the speed limit of 4 knots, but the race start line is well inside the harbour area, roughly on a line betwixt Oyster Tank Road and Point Clear Ferry Landing. We sailed around the coastal shipping at high tide.

Regards,

Perry

3. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

If you go more than 4 knots on the narrowboat canals of England, someone will be after your hide. In fact, they want you to slow to idle to pass nearby moored boats. Even 4 knots on a narrowboat will sometimes carry an unbelievable wave along. Rivers an open water are a different thing.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

My dad had a canal boat, --not a long boat a cabin cruiser thing, quite nice for a weekend.

If he did 4 knots with his Ford 4 cyl petrol engine the water at the front could not get passed the boat due to the narrow canal, hence the side of the boat was low of water. A very unusual experience and the level of the canal was much lower at this point reveling bicycles and beds.

It got to the point that the bow wave was pushing water over the foot path then rushing passed the side of the boat.

Oh by the way you can urinate in the canal but you cant urinate in a bucket and chuck it in the canal.

5. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Sorry frosty why would you want to throw a bucket in the canal ??

From what I have found out from the links ....(as suspected ) Britian is a miserable place for people with boats ....carnt even get it on the plane for efficiency and places wanting 15 quid to use the boat ramp....sorry mates staying here .....and the Noosa river is not a Canal Frosty it has the biggest saltwater lake in the southern hemisphere part way along ....

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Don't apologize --its perfectly Ok Im sure you you fit in better there.

Phew -----that was close.

7. mwatts

mwatts Martin

I think it's the same as in Holland. You need to know where to go. If you're a tourist, you probably end up paying (too much).

Where I live we have a stretch of water where we can go as fast as we probably can. And a free boat ramp. But you have to be local in order to find it. ;)

We have to register fast powerboats (above 12 kn), but that means going to the post office and saying "I have a fast powerboat" and putting about 45 euros on the table, after which you get a registration number which you must paint or stick on the side of your boat in overly large letters. There aren't any technical requirements. If I want to build a gas turbine (from a scrapped M1 Abrams) driven boat, I can. :D

8. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

So the situation is ..if you have a hire boat it does 6 kts and it takes all day to get anywhere .....if you have your own boat it goes on the plane about 15 kts and we usually cruise ..like everyone else at about 25 kts .....
    If I moved back ( very weak pound/Au dollar) I was wondering if there was anywhere I can use my propski ( not at sea) or do I bring the canoe with the 5 hp Briggs and stratton /Thai longtail .....??
    Answers from UK residents who dont own British Seagulls appreciated !!!!

9. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Use Google Earth to view the UK. Our longest river is the Thames at 215 miles. Going through the countryside you proceed slowly and with care. Around the country on the sea, you can go as fast as you can afford.

If you are thinking of returning to the UK because you are broke in Oz, what makes you think the UK is any better? That's very muddled thinking, especially as the cost of transporting your accoutrements will cost a pretty penny. Best stay in the warm & sunny climes as this winter is going to be a freezer in the NH, whatever the clowns in the Met Office forecast.

1 person likes this.
  10. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Exchange rate is the killer was 2.9 dllar to quid now 1.8 . as all our penions come from the UK..Many have already left ....Interest rates very high .....unlike your stupid government the aussies will not let foriegners work and there is no health service here for us ...great place... the best on earth but now very very expensive

11. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

Here is my local canal. I walk down this stretch every day on my way to work. It is in parts, just 8 feet wide, and is perhaps 2 feet deep, if it is full, and you manage to avoid the shopping trolleys. Any one who manages to do 40 knots on this will get many hits on youtube!

British Waterways govern the larger part of the navigable waterways in Britain. Canal speed limit 4 knots.

Rivers vary, and vary along their length, between about 4 and 12 mph. There really aren't so many seriously navigable rivers: Thames, Severn, Trent, the Ouses, Avons, and their tributaries.

Most of the larger lakes in the lake district are 10 mph.

Other smaller lakes reservoirs, flooded gravel pits will vary, but there are some you can go round and round in circles very fast on.

Attached Files:

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Nice write up for a Yorkshire pudding.

However I am sorry to inform you that that is not a canal. Canal is bigger and has ducks on it and ducks eat worms, dont they.

There would also be Newts that have a terrible reputation for drinking.

Oh and if it was a canal there would be a bike in it.

13. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Ahh old memories through a wine glass ..Frosty...

BUT I am still supprised how people read into this what they want ...I dont want to do 40 kts ....BUT all my boats need to run on the plane except the canoe ...so if I carnt get them up to say 20 kts in the UK I perhaps best just bring the canoe or drop the power on the propski to British Seagull levels .( no bad idea ) ....ummm with 40 HP on the propski I could outrun the brick throwing yobs on the bridges ......self defence Mr waterways person .....

Stay cool but not Frosty

14. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

15. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

Yes, in fairness Frosty, I didn't tell you that it was a picture of the Huddersfield Narrow Canal (the clue's in the name) as opposed to the Huddersfield Broad Canal (ditto).

British Waterways (Northern division) are very progressive. Here you can see that they have mostly cleared out the old fashioned bicycles, and are tirelessly replacing them with shopping trolleys.

Now, don't get me started on canals - I can bang on for hours about the inclined plane boat lift, the grisly Somerset levels coal canal submerged caisson lock, the Falkirk wheel and its capability to lift 4 canal boats with less power than it takes to boil the kettle...

By the way, did I ever tell you why my pet newt is also called Tiny?

Attached Files: