where to start

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by elhewman, Apr 3, 2011.

1. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Man, those are very reasonably priced, no excuse for anyone not to have a good seaworthy craft. There are about 4 in this area for sale also. The going price for these is usually $2000 to $6000. It was that mad Englishman, Michael Verney (Boat Repairs/ Conversions) that got this cash strapped dreamer hooked on these in the first place some 35 yrs. ago. I can't complain though, it's been a good experience.-- Geo.

Pericles--I like that quazi French word Largesse'--generious giving of gifts--

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Pericles, are you familiar with Verney, some one mentioned he published other books on boatbuilding but i've never come across one.See you live near the Thames, My dad made 22trips across the pond as a merchant seaman during the war He spent alot of time in London. They put him on land based night watch one dark foggy night between ships sitting in a sanbag fort with a twin lewis machine gun. He shot down an astray Halifax Bomber flying with all it's lights out. Him and his partener thought it was German. The plane was a loss but the pilot manager to belly land her and all the crew got out. Yup Friendly fire. My Uncle was stationed there in The Canadian Airforce. I heard a few stories of Old London Town.--Geo.

3. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

George,

Your mention of Verney is the first time I have knowledge of the man, except that in the 1950s my father entertained ideas of a lifeboat conversion and I recall a book on his bedside table with an illustration of a lifeboat on it. Who knows? It might have been Verney's?

There are copies of Verney's books available.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Boat-Repairs-and-Conversions-Michael-Verney-Very-G-/400199357377

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Mi...&aq=t&client=firefox-a&rlz=1R1GGGL_en___GB351

As for your father's antics with a Lewis gun, I thought Newfies and Nova Scotians could see in fog? Was it a case of a man from Halifax NS whacking a stray Halifax? ;) :)

4. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

5. viking north

viking north VINLAND

OHhhh it was a fog alright : not a down east Nova Scotia-Newfoundland-or Maine fog but a London Fog-- Pea Soup with big chunks of solids--a Jack The Ripper Movie fog-

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.