Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Boat Design
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 12-02-2011, 11:53 PM

Rep: 1035 Posts: 1,649
Interesting-- But a little too much experimential for me. With refrigeration i like to stick with simple. The superinsulated ice box has always worked well but if it had some small helper to keep it cool it would be a perfect setup. In my case I think the tri powered unit would be ideal. I am also playing around with a few more ideas not related to the galley that i will post as i progress along with the build. My immediate challenge now is this keel idea i'm in the process of building. Should be interesting, hope all the effort pans out--

Old 12-03-2011, 12:17 AM

Rep: 796 Posts: 1,288
The video is about a toy. The fellow is playing with a Bedini circuit, coil, and a magnet. Bedini circuits are part of the fringe element perpetual motion machine experimenters, and Bedini was one. I don't believe in perpetual motion, and a Bedini circuit is just an oscilater circuit, a very fast transistorized switch. Anyway, venturi coolers have been around a long time and you can buy them for cooling electronics ect. They require a high volumn air supply to work.The author of the videi recognizes he has high speed air flow thru the coil tube due to the htper revolving neodium ball magnet. He sees the ice crystalls spew out when he inserts the pencil causing the venturi effect. But he doesn't realize hes made a venturi cooler tube with its own internal air supply, at low watts. 12v and 900 ma. But I saw it and thought, 2 or 3 spraying snow in an insulated box? Refrigerater freezer. However, it would need more than thermal insulation. Sound insulation against that high speed turbine whine of the 30,000 rpm magnets. Shatter your teeth or your bones, or worse, crack your hull!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:07 AM

Rep: 921 Posts: 3,961
Location: Conn in summers , Ortona FL in winter , with big dock & room for O'nite stop .
A 33 gal tank of kerosene would be fuel for almost a lifetime.

These units are very frugal, 5Gal will last most heavy users at least a year.

WE use and love them.

The type shown has no regulation valve or internal pricker, and is known as the "roaring burner".Simplest and best.

No not loud , just enough noise to let you hear it operate from your bunk.

The silent burner looks quite different , tho works the same.

Older cruisers would make a C from brass that fits the priming cup, and wrap that with asbestos string .
It would be kept in a jar full of alcohol and retrieved with a set of tweasers , and placed on the priming ring and lit.

Otherwise the priming alcohol was in a squirt can , pumps stink as they wear out from the lack of lubrication with alcohol.

For a low buck round the world cruiser the "Primus" is a delight as mineral spirits are even cleaner than some Kero, and a gallon is lots lighter to find and tote aboard than a 20# propane tank.

FF
Old 12-03-2011, 09:55 AM

Thanks Fred for more good info on the little cooking devil--so thats what it is folks--a primus type stove--if you need one for your galley,- it's listed for sale under marketplace(closing shop bits & pieces for sale) on this forum. --- Geo.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Seņor Junior Member

Rep: 2340 Posts: 4,744
http://www2.macleans.ca/

Quote Yobarnacle: "oh! ein, swy, dry, fear, fimph, sex, sebin, oct, noin, zein"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_s464xTtN8
Old 12-03-2011, 10:29 AM

Yobarnacle--that technology is too far out there for me--I'll have to wait for further development --freezing water for my ice box is more in line with how far i now want to challenge my old brain ,
Will be in Florida mid March to late May if your build is close by to my land yacht crusing grounds and you're on site wouldn't mind having a look--Geo.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:40 AM

Hoyte- where do you find this stuff - always amazes me-- your computer must have that extra search feature button "ODD BALL ITEMS". Catchy little tune though, an example of Governor Arnold's singing I think
Old 12-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Seņor Junior Member

I googled ein zwei and there it was!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:54 AM

Maybe I appear to be a quack. My kids, all adults with their own families (I have 7 grandkids), defend me to their friends when introducing me with "Dads been at sea a LOOONG time!" During my 43 year career, I have survived 5 shipboard fires, numerous hurricanes, attacked by pirates on several occassions, arrested and thrown into prison in a couple 3rd world countries, (shenanigans of my office, not my misbehavior), deported twice,several groundings, 2 collisions, 1 oil spill, but...BIG BUT...No lost vessels, no lost lives, no lost limbs, no revoked licenses, and I'm healthy, and my wife and I are still in love with each other. Primarily because we share one important thing in common, we are both in love with her! So, no thru hulls, no explosive gasses, permanent flotation to be unsinkable, ect, ect...got my reasons and nightmares.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Seņor Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobarnacle View Post
Maybe I appear to be a quack. My kids, all adults with their own families (I have 7 grandkids), defend me to their friends when introducing me with "Dads been at sea a LOOONG time!" During my 43 year career, I have survived 5 shipboard fires, numerous hurricanes, attacked by pirates on several occassions, arrested and thrown into prison in a couple 3rd world countries, (shenanigans of my office, not my misbehavior), deported twice,several groundings, 2 collisions, 1 oil spill, but...BIG BUT...No lost vessels, no lost lives, no lost limbs, no revoked licenses, and I'm healthy, and my wife and I are still in love with each other. Primarily because we share one important thing in common, we are both in love with her! So, no thru hulls, no explosive gasses, permanent flotation to be unsinkable, ect, ect...got my reasons and nightmares.
You are truly blessed.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:18 PM

You have just confirmed you are just as crazy as the rest of us possibly due to a common malade, bordum due to past excapades of life,
Old 12-03-2011, 12:24 PM

Where did we go wrong? I misread this. I thought it was "Where did I go wrong?" and about me
Old 12-03-2011, 12:36 PM

superinsulated ice box...please tell us more, viking north. how much and what type insulation? box liner? capacity? block ice? blown in shaved ice from fish dock? Please share
Old 12-03-2011, 12:41 PM

My kids/grandkids have not been aboard IntrpiDos yet, because she isn't ready to display. Eventually, they'll be invited for day sails, fishing, ect. I'll rent motel rooms for em if they won't spring for it themselves. Because, the very best thing about grandchildren is, when they get obnoxious, you can tell their parents "Take em home!"

Old 12-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Previous Member

best lightest insulation is this stuff called reflectix.

used in the space shuttle, but its available cheap at most home improvement stores

http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?PageIndex=389

I used it in my big camper I built about fifteen years ago. saves weight big times over other insulation of the same R value. But R values are tricky so I included that article