Where did we go wrong?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Willallison, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

when you get old, your memory is the second thing to go...I don't remember whats the first

1 person likes this.
  2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Bos, I'll bet with a change of materials you could build the Atkins boat out at 10,000 lbs
    or even less.

3. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Ah, the venerable Swedish Primus. Used by Shackleton and Peary, yes they work fine once you understand them.
    The usual one is kerosene burning, though I've seen diesel models. You must pre-heat just right or a jet of burning fuel goes all over, but after a little practice and burn ointment you won't have problems.
    At one time on BERTIE we had a two-burner Primus, then a burner packed up and we were down to one, but I could always keep it working, even after months far from parts in Mexico, then weeks at sea.
    In the early 70s I had one like you show on a small camping centerboard boat I cruised SF bay in extensively, and it worked great, but you need the orifice pricker, spare orifices and spare leathers for the pump.
    A propane torch works best for pre-heating, but the alcohol cup works fine if you keep the wind away.
    Nothing like coming below on a very small boat with blustery cold outside and having the Primus hissing away and a pot of stew or 'schooner on the rocks' (beef on chopped potatoes) giving off heavenly smells.
    Makes you forget the mildewed sleeping bag on hard floorboards and dragging anchor in the middle of the night.

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Dam Bataan, you make it sound so cosy, I ah mind to keep it just to cook me spuds :)
    Yo Barnicle, the first thing to go is the money or in the case of too much hard knock sea time --the wife then the money :D

5. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

Bataan has it on the Primus - originator of the 'Swedish pattern' paraffin (kerosene I think!) vapour pressure stove. Powerful, controllable, and very cheap to run. As Bataan says, there is a bit of a learning curve, but they are essentially simple and very reliable. Mine are nearly 90 years old. A pricker and a spare pump leather is about all I usually carry for maintainance. For a stove of the same size, probably only recently out powered by the MSR type petrol and multifuel stoves, which may not be as controllable. Best source of spares and information I know is

http://www.base-camp.co.uk/

The website is a bit of a maze, but loads of great stuff, and they are very knowledgeable if you phone at the right time.

Never got on with Tilley lamps though, although its essentially the same mechanism.

Primus based galley in action:

[​IMG]

6. Yobarnacle

I have a 40 year old 30 gal water tank in the bow I'm simply capping off and leaving in as a flotation chamber. Weight in the ends makes a boat a hobby horse. Theres also a 40 year old diesel tank of 33 gal capacity under center cockpit I was considering cleaning and leaving in as flotation. Maybe I should fill it with kerosene instead and get me a primus stove? :)

7. Yobarnacle

My wife and I agreed long ago, if she ever wanted a divorce, she should use Smith and Wesson.

8. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

I think Force 10 makes a diesel burning Primus.

9. Yobarnacle

kerosene is cheaper than diesel and a better grade fuel, and doesn't stink like diesel. Instead, it stinks like kerosene. :)

10. Yobarnacle

It's also called heating oil=kerosene=parafin=lamp oil

11. cyclops2

cyclops2 Senior Member

When the seas get sick.

Diesel or Kerosene get me looking at the bottom of the sea.:eek:

12. Yobarnacle

I was joking. My boat is electric. Can't imagine how long 33 gallons would last in a single burner primus. a year? two?

13. viking north

viking north VINLAND

In my past builds my galleys always had a super ice box as the so called refrigerator. I initally used an alcohol two burner stove top but found it was just lacking in BTU's and there was just too much moisture and condensation within the cabin. I also tried an alcohol cabin heater but again insufficient BTU's and too much moisture and condensation. I replaced the alcohol stove and heater with propane and was most pleased with the results. I do follow very strict rules using this highly explosive fuel. In addition to an electric shut off valve i manually shut the system down at the tank when an appliance is not in operation. The propane heater is shut down when i sleep or away from the boat even for short periods of time. The boat is also equipped with a propane detector sensor. My new build will also have a super ice box plus a 12/115/propane/ medium size cooler style refrigerator. I have been toying around with the idea of fitting this unit within the ice box. I will also make use of a propane top stove and two propane fireplace style/stove piped/ heaters. One in the main cabin one in the wheelhouse.I am having second thoughts about replacing one of the propane heaters with a homebuilt wood pellet fireplace style stove. In additon i am installing a similar system of cabinets and stainless countertop and sink as i did in the land yacht. In other words a fairley well equipped galley including a microwave/convection oven setup. In addition the trusty old BBQ will be hung off the rail. We are normally well stock up with home canned & bottled wild meat and fish stews. I like a well equipped and functioning galley.---

14. Yobarnacle

Obviously you put a lot of thought into your galley plan. I also plan on refrigeration and freezer/s. Walmart sells a Black and Decker solid state bar fridge for less than $100. Thermo-couple not compressor.I thought of removing the door and installing fridge in a rectangular well insulated box, half protruding in cabin and half remaining in cockpit. Top opening doesn't lose cold and more insulation, I believe the fridge would cool half again or maybe double its original cu ft.If it rusted out after a year, stuff in a new one for $100. Beats the $1000+ prices of "marine" units.I'm also considering a neodium magnet venturi cooling device for an ice box. Check out this url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1oFzXOZnE8&feature=related Look at the ice it throws when he insets a pencil, constricting the airflow; creating a venturi cooling tube

15. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Interesting-- But a little too much experimential for me. With refrigeration i like to stick with simple. The superinsulated ice box has always worked well but if it had some small helper to keep it cool it would be a perfect setup. In my case I think the tri powered unit would be ideal. I am also playing around with a few more ideas not related to the galley that i will post as i progress along with the build. My immediate challenge now is this keel idea i'm in the process of building. Should be interesting, hope all the effort pans out--