Where did we go wrong?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Willallison, Nov 29, 2011.

1. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Thanks for those drawings. I can see an interesting little feature there, which has aroused my curiosity about your boat's performance. What engine does it have and what speed do you get at full throttle? How does it behave in seaway?

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

The Albin 25 was originally powered with a 20hp Albin diesel and a 17 inch prop, which gave her 6+ knots, hull speed. Albin also made diesels for Volvo's label back then. They sold the 20 hp, 3 cyl design to Westerbecke, built for them a few years then got out of engine business.Prior owners to me had a 15hp yanmar in her throwing 13 inch wheel, for 5+knots. Engine was missing when I bought her.
    I dislike, distrust, thru hull fittings.I have eliminated all but 2 on IntrepiDos.One is the rudder. I repowered with a MinnKota salt water trolling motor. Its designed to fit on an outboard motor, has two motors and two props. I modified some British Seagull 5 blade Hydrofan props and installed on the trolling motors along with Propguard Kort nozzles.I get 5+kts at 24 volts 30 amps. I almost always motorsail and run motors at 24v, 12 amps. I get 7+kts with any wind over 5mph.Boat is being rebuilt and redesigned, and I have only run her on ICW between Vero Beach and Port St Lucie. We test for 24 to 36 hours after a modification. IntrepiDos looks descrepit, because she is presently unpainted. Wife suggested naming her Vagabundo Descrepito.(Descrepit Bum) Eventally I'jj Awlgrip but not untill I'm satisfied with final form.Im working on improving her pointing ability. Im in Fla 3 months, then Mexico 3 months, repeat. So, progress isn't continuous. Passing boats make her rock, but she dampens and steadies quickly. Hard to make her heel more than 5 degrees or so.

3. Yobarnacle

oh, I lengthened her to 30 feet, about 26 ft WL at rest, 28ft WL at speed

4. Yobarnacle

by the way, what feature caught your interest? the hard chines molded in?

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Yes. :)
    They are usually found on round-bilge semi-displacement boats, where they act as sprayrails at high speeds, but I couldn't put it together with the width of the transom, which is not a semi-displacement type. That's why I've asked about speeds attained.

6. Yobarnacle

now the Albins stern is canoe shaped. Actually,it's the bow of an Oday Daysailer II, fleshed out and faired in with foam and fiberglass to blend in to original Albin 25 hull. Added some on top, too, raising freeboard of Oday bow to match sheer height of Albin.

7. Yobarnacle

17 ft Oday...I had one laying around, no rig, foam flotation all saturated, so took the bow for my new stern. Un-sailable and un-saleable

Attached Files:

8. Yobarnacle

Clamping two lines together with your hands is called marrying them. I married the Oday and Albin 25 to create IntrepiDos

Attached Files:

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Thanks Boston-- alot of blood and sweat by myself and the woman, right from scratch, cut 5 cord of wood in clearing the lot and burned it that same winter to keep us warm. I enquired some time back on another thread but you must have missed it, --have you made any further progress on your boat build ? Mine is progressing but dam slow--life's other projects keep popping up. -Geo.
    Still curious about that little stove i acquired somewhere on some deal and now have for sale on marketplace. I'm gonna look closer at the writing on it today and post a photo, maybe someone canfill me in on what it i, what fuel it burns, and how to operate it. Never seen one before so am totally uneducated on it.

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I'm collecting materials for it now that I'm pretty much done with the rebuilding that old truck of mine. Converted it to run alternative fuels. To bad its so big tho, or I'd just transfer it to the build.

post a picture of that stove, I've found small stoves pretty cheap tho.
    http://www.google.com/products/cata...8&tbm=shop&cid=1008627520902496019&os=reviews
    and I'm about five seconds from buying one.

as usual I'm still waffling between the Atkins great bear motor cruiser 36' and the W Hand bronco at 29' One I could trailer and the other not. But I've got about ten sets of plans at this point and most days I just pick one and start day dreaming

11. Yobarnacle

I like trailerability. Great peace of mind. Hurricane coming? Load her up and head for the hills. Need to be away for awhile? Only sinking that might occur is if a tire goes flat. My boat at 30 ft and 4000lbs is max I can haul with my 3/4 ton V8 Dodge. Diminutive is price of trailerbility...but it's just a problem to solve, in space utilization. Ain't planning circumnavigation in a little boat. Too big a coward, I guess. I want lots of steel and thousands of hp when I cross oceans. Crossed Pacific and Atlantic several times each. I respect them.

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ya we're just talking a coastal cruiser, I could drag the Atkins out at 15,000 lbs if I had to, but its a pain in the ***. And I might get stuck on the ramp if its to steep. Even with the gorilla of trucks, this rebuilt 9,000 lb F250

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/bostonpyramidbuilder/?action=view&current=DSCN0257.mp4

Ok this is turning into a major hijacking maybe we should continue this elsewhere and let our OP have his thread back. Although I might throw in that whatever gets built its going to have a galley of some kind as well as a composting head. and some way to rinse oneself off.

13. Yobarnacle

sorry

sorry I hijacked thread...my sincere apologies

14. viking north

viking north VINLAND

I don't think it's ever gotten too far off course. The general trend has been boats/galleys/food drinking and cooking. Even women and sailing buddies thrown in for good measure. Seems like a top notch nautical thread to me :) The only thing missing is the references to sex and since that too in my old life is waining I'll keep a back row on any discussion of the subject least i might have to prove my boasting :D Well maybe just a little,being that Newfoundlanders have been voted the sexiest most active men in Canada by Mc Leans Magazine 12yrs. in a row. :p
    Ok quick change of topic-- back on thread- one has a basic galley such as Tiny Turnip, then one has a stove similar to Tiny Turnip, I think. This is what I have.The is the make VALOR ?????? STOVE No 55, made in England. Anyone got an idea of the fuel/ Is this what they refer to as a Primus Stove??

P.S. had a brillant thought, while it might be old (i've had it stashed for 30/35 yrs) maybe it's still being made so did a Google search and presto the answer to my questions. Anyone ever used one of these ? Are they any good ? --Geo.

Attached Files:

15. Yobarnacle

sorry my spelling is atrocious in all languages