Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Boat Design
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 11-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Previous Member

did anyone else notice problems with the last page of that PDF. Crashed my computer, and this computer never crashes.

Anyway I loved the helm on that thing, very simple and compact. nice chair, maybe could use a cup holder. I didn't see one.

Ok got a chance to read the whole thread. I'm a cheap bastad and I love cooking, smoke fish nearly every week and roll up some sushi probably twice a week and I provide a few specials at one of the local sushi bars. Gotta have fire. This cheap bastad loves to eat. Nothing cooks up as easily as it does in a wok over an open flame. So three must haves, although compact. Fire, nothing beats an open flame when your grilling up game. Same fire works fine under a wok or a skillet. Boils water, fire does it all. Fire means propane and propane's a pain but its cheap, so its in. I've got a two burner gas top that I'm planing on using as a stowaway galley. Sink, ya gotta have a sink. doesn't have to be a large sink but the nature of the beast is its a fixture, OK some folks harbor hopping might be able to forgo a sink but there are those times when even if your not cooking a sink is a godsend. Ya gotta have a sink. Fridge, not sure how mankind developed before the invention of the fridge but without a fridge, we wither and die. Gotta have a fridge, I'm planing on living in the colder climbs so for me, keeping things cool isn't as much of a problem. But a fridge does seem like it bleeds heat into the living space and its a drain on the house bank. = more batteries = more weight = more fuel. So for me the fridge isn't all that big a deal. Just pipe in some cold water and its a fridge. The freezer is the big deal. Its gotta hold a fish. I love fishing so I'm not into demolishing a perfectly nice fish just to jam it into a freezer. Same concept is behind that double burner. I might want to cook that fish, and I might want to walk it out to the deck on a nice big fat plate for everyone to ogle before they tear into it.

I can't really picture a boat without a galley, but to each his own. If your loaded I guess you could eat ashore or have something delivered to the dock. But for me part of the experience is the evenings out on the water. Cold beer and something fresh off the grill.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:56 AM

Rep: 1173 Posts: 4,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim View Post
Well I have a totally different view! I really enjoyed having an oven already in a 28' sailboat. We (2+2) sail around Baltic Sea 3-5 weeks during summer holidays and most of the places we visit do not even have a restaurant. You can buy smoked fish every now and then, but you still have to cook the potatoes. Even when we are in bigger marinas we sometimes eat in the boat. I do most of the meals while we are living in the boat and my wife at home, thus the galley is not for my wife.

It is also a different culture. In the Med it is typical to eat in restaurants often. I eat in a restaurant less than once a month expect during holidays. Restaurants are more expensive around here and I enjoy home cooking more than cheap restaurants.
Sure..the Baltic is a different world. Sun up 24 hours a day for summer cruising so you never no when dinner time is !!! And of course nothing wrong with home cooking...many times its relaxing and easy after a hectic day of sailing. In general the big hassle with cooking is shopping and storing the grub. Nothing worse than to be trapped into the ..catch a taxi... to the market so we can save money routine.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Engineering and Design

Rep: 3126 Posts: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
did anyone else notice problems with the last page of that PDF. Crashed my computer, and this computer never crashes.
Works fine both on my desktop and on my laptop...

Quote:
Gotta have fire. This cheap bastad loves to eat. Nothing cooks up as easily as it does in a wok over an open flame. So three must haves, although compact. Fire, nothing beats an open flame when your grilling up game. Same fire works fine under a wok or a skillet. Boils water, fire does it all. Fire means propane and propane's a pain but its cheap, so its in. I've got a two burner gas top that I'm planing on using as a stowaway galley. Sink, ya gotta have a sink. doesn't have to be a large sink but the nature of the beast is its a fixture, OK some folks harbor hopping might be able to forgo a sink but there are those times when even if your not cooking a sink is a godsend. Ya gotta have a sink. Fridge, not sure how mankind developed before the invention of the fridge but without a fridge, we wither and die. Gotta have a fridge, I'm planing on living in the colder climbs so for me, keeping things cool isn't as much of a problem. But a fridge does seem like it bleeds heat into the living space and its a drain on the house bank. = more batteries = more weight = more fuel. So for me the fridge isn't all that big a deal. Just pipe in some cold water and its a fridge. The freezer is the big deal. Its gotta hold a fish. I love fishing so I'm not into demolishing a perfectly nice fish just to jam it into a freezer. Sam concept is behind that double burner. I might want to cook that fish, and I might want to walk it out to the deck on a nice big fat plate for everyone to ogle before they tear into it.
Dramatic but well-written. I've read it all in one breath.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:20 PM

Rep: 1691 Posts: 1,760
My 2 cents

Quote:
I can't really picture a boat without a galley, but to each his own. If your loaded I guess you could eat ashore or have something delivered to the dock. But for me part of the experience is the evenings out on the water. Cold beer and something fresh off the grill.
couldn't have said it better
dont forget selfmade flat breads
http://compaxboats.wordpress.com/
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boa...ser-27869.html
Old 11-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Seņor Junior Member

Rep: 2340 Posts: 4,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking north View Post
You Guys must not worry about crusing bubgets, I certainly couldn't afford dockage fees and a restaurant with prepared food and wine every night. Thus the need for us poor smucks to require cooking facilities in our craft enabling us to harvest a cod, lobster,mussels, to go with our home made wine while on the hook in some clean secluded cove -- (mind you often freezing our asses off from these damp northern latitudes---)
You're right.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:39 PM

Rep: 922 Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy2000 View Post
any chance we could get these last few posts switched over to a thread called "Cooking aboard or outdoors"?
I think we've hijacked Will's thread long enough...
Good idea - now split just in time for dinner to http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/ope...ors-40787.html
Old 11-30-2011, 05:48 PM

Rep: 2366 Posts: 3,587
I was rather enjoying it... but just wondering how you blokes manage to fit an open fire on board your boats!
www.imaginocean.net
Old 11-30-2011, 05:49 PM

Rep: 2050 Posts: 1,707
As noted several times already, different strokes for different folks.

Put me in a boat and I'll point it away from all the people, and go looking for a deserted little strip of beach where no one will bother me.

Put my son in the same boat and he'll point it straight into the busiest water, and go looking for a crowded beach where he can find young women to bother.

I prefer a boat with a usable galley, even though I do a lot of my cooking outside. For example, I'd just as soon not make an outdoor production out of breakfast. I'd rather have a two-burner stove with a coffeepot on one side making the cabin smell good while I finish dressing, and a frying pan on the other side for Mexican chorizo, nopalitos, potatoes and eggs while I'm having my first cup of coffee.

Or corn meal mush (basically polenta) with spicy sausage crumbled into it... either fresh and soft, or chilled overnight, cut into slices and fried (simple version of scrapple).

Whoops. I see Jeff has done the split. I'll head over there; maybe he'll forgive me for one case of duplicate posts in two threads.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:53 PM
Seņor Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willallison View Post
I was rather enjoying it... but just wondering how you bloke manage to fit an open fire on board your boats!
As in other activities, you hang it over the side.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...5498&id=930369
Old 11-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Previous Member

I even plan on having my smoke oven with me if I ever manage to get back to the water. I'll do basically the same thing you do with a wood stove in a house, heat shields and something under it. I don't think a grill top is going to be a problem. I suspect a stainless counter top over wonderboard will work just fine but If I really had my way, there'd be some natural stone involved somewhere.

Ok well I'm going to start a cooking thread, If Jeff feels like he has the time to transfer a few posts then great and if not well, lets not completely hijack this thread.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Seņor Junior Member

Quote:
I even plan on having my smoke oven with me if I ever manage to get back to the water. I'll do basically the same thing you do with a wood stove in a house, heat shields and something under it. I don't think a grill top is going to be a problem. I suspect a stainless counter top over wonderboard will work just fine but If I really had my way, there'd be some natural stone involved somewhere.

Ok well I'm going to start a cooking thread, If Jeff feels like he has the time to transfer a few posts then great and if not well, lets not completely hijack this thread.
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/ope...ors-40787.html
The cooking thread already is in place. Check moderator post above.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Previous Member

Ok I started a cooking thread off with what I made today for dinner.

On board, off board, and round the bend cooking

we return you to your normally scheduled programing
Old 11-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Previous Member

ouch I missed that thread Jeff
OK I'll transfer my new post over there
Old 11-30-2011, 07:03 PM

Rep: 77 Posts: 237
I think we are missing the boat here. There are a lot of modern females esp. those where $800,000 to one million for a 44ft boat is now common have not the interest or knowlege to do much cooking. Many really dont like boating all that much and hanging on the hook is not their thing. Take them to an interesting place where someone else does the cooking and clean up, well then they will go along for the ride-Walla a 44 ft boat and no gally.The ultimate boatshow boat for that little lady(no worries about becomeing the gally slave).

Old 11-30-2011, 07:24 PM

Rep: 2366 Posts: 3,587
Well... yes - I have a BBQ hanging over the side too and I must admit that I do use it even when it is raining... (we Tasmanian's are apparently a hardy lot and don't high-tale it back to port when the heavens open up..)

I take Michael's point about cooking in warmer climate's... I spent a rather lovely week on a bareboat charter in Thailand earlier this year. The temp rarely dropped below 30C overnight. The cost was absurdly low and we were on holiday, so we did indeed eat ashore most nights. But rather than make me think that I wouldn't have a galley, it simply re-affirmed my conviction that I would want to own a sailboat... not a "normal" one anyway. What an absurd way to live! Huddled in an uncomfortably small cockpit with a bloody great wheel in the way, because it is even more uncomfortable down below in the cave that 95% of sailboats call a saloon. And don't even get me started on that bloody great stick up the middle, with all the ropes and wires that are required to hold it up...their location carefully chosen to ensure that they are in just the right place to catch an unsuspecting bare foot....
In that circumstance, I agree... the galley was unpleasant to use and I would design the vessel around indoor/outdoor living and cooking.

There are those who only really use their boat's as an ostentatious way of taking friends out for dinner. I get that - and clearly that is what this boat is about. But even for these people, I imagine that every now and again they would want something to eat whilst onboard - even if it's just canapes supplied by the local caterer. But where would they prepare them... and where would they wash up the plates and champagne glasses afterwards.... sorry - I just can't see it.....
www.imaginocean.net