Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Boat Design
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 12-06-2011, 02:55 PM

Rep: 799 Posts: 1,306
VizQueen

In their alternative propulsion schemes, perhaps they'll eventually try this.

Then we could have a thread arguing if it was a Pedalsailer? or a Sail-or-Pedal. And was it 30-70, or 50-50?

Use polyethylene for sails and name her VizQueen
Attached Thumbnails
Where did we go wrong?-visqueen.jpg  

Old 12-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Crotchety

Rep: 2364 Posts: 4,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobarnacle View Post
In their alternative propulsion schemes, perhaps they'll eventually try this.

Then we could have a thread arguing if it was a Pedalsailer? or a Sail-or-Pedal. And was it 30-70, or 50-50?

Use polyethylene for sails and name her VizQueen
LMAO, again!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:40 PM
aka Terry Haines

Rep: 2277 Posts: 3,521
Four-stroke pedal boat; particularly green if the wind is in the wrong direction . .

Old 12-06-2011, 04:41 PM

Rep: 1691 Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
I did not intend to advocate that everyone must cruise in an open boat.....not at all......I was trying to point out the silliness of the "We must take it all with us" cruising mentality.......

Where "We" (Yacht Designer's, the Boating Industry?) went wrong is in allowing anyone anything other than this.......
Since no one would buy that one, the waterways and marinas would be a lot less crowded. Of course you also have experience with designing a boat for efficient operation and finding no market for it. Do you know whatever happened to the Energy 48? People want room and performance and to be successful a cruising boat has to offer both. That is, unless the market is the high end and, in that case, anything goes as long as it tickles the buyers fancy..
Old 12-06-2011, 06:33 PM

Rep: 2369 Posts: 3,590
It'd be nice to think that the various drama's that have confronted the world in the last few years would lead to a more "rational" type of boat. But I'm afraid I agree with Tom... for most "cruisers", who use their boats to travel a mile or two up the creek for lunch, and who have to pay by the foot for marina space, the short, fat and (my least favourite aspect)...tall vessel is the one that makes most sense. Sad, but true...
I see nothing wrong with people who want to have most of the comforts of home onboard their boats. Advances in technology have allowed us to enjoy those comforts without a disproportionate cost. My parents operate a 65ft production motoryacht (which they use a LOT). It's a complicated beast with all manner of systems and back up systems. It goes against my KISS principles to be sure, but I have to say, it's a very pleasant boat to spend time aboard in some remote anchorage...
Equally, I have nothing against those who want to (or have to for financial reasons) do their boating in a more simple manner. It's often said that the smaller the boat, the more often it will get used. And whilst my parents are an exception to the rule, I think many boater's would benefit from a period of reflection and ask themselves just how much boat they really need and just how much stuff they actually have to have on board.
And back to the thread topic... I would still argue that aeven a rudimentary galley is one of those must have's....
www.imaginocean.net
Old 12-06-2011, 07:03 PM

Ideal galley. 30 gallon coffee pot with intravenous drip option. Automatic french pastrymaker. (deluxe version of the automatic donut maker, by the same folks make the breadmaker appliance)

Grill for steaks
Old 12-06-2011, 10:11 PM

Rep: 2050 Posts: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobarnacle View Post
Ideal galley. 30 gallon coffee pot with intravenous drip option. Automatic french pastrymaker. (deluxe version of the automatic donut maker, by the same folks make the breadmaker appliance)

Grill for steaks
'
You've seen the automatic coffee dispensers in airports and places that have 'extra cream and 'extra sugar' buttons? Well, your galley isn't ideal unless the coffeepot has an 'extra Irish whiskey' button....
Old 12-06-2011, 10:19 PM

Your so right. Actually I was misleading folks. If I admitted I was installing a Star Trek food replicator, everybody would be demanding my source.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:05 PM

Food Replicator/MSD

This article about Nasa's research is dated 2005, and we are all aware scientists in other countries steal our tech.
Just head west from Golden Gate.
i tried to clue folks, a kitchen appliance could replace the galley.
Attached Thumbnails
Where did we go wrong?-nasa-replicator-msd.jpg  
Old 12-07-2011, 10:27 AM

For the squeamish, I'll remind you that, you put manure on your garden and water and energy from the sun, and abbracadabra, the plants turn it into food. What's so different about a machine doing it?
Old 12-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Crotchety

And it traps CO2, so rather than feed people with it just bury it and its sequestered again. Of course its energy source frees CO2 in the process of creating the energy needed for the thermo-synthesis.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:04 PM

I was stretching the truth a bit as to current availabilty. There is an article on net about a chef/programmer uses a printer to print sushi frrom edible ink on edible paper. claims it tastes real. Now if he could print the paper thin sliced pickled ginger root that accompanies sushi, I'd buy that ink cartridge and the paper. LOVE that stuff.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Crotchety

Wasabe is probably easy to print. You can probably make the paper itself from horseradish.