Where did we go wrong?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Willallison, Nov 29, 2011.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

LMAO, again!

2. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Four-stroke pedal boat; particularly green if the wind is in the wrong direction . .

[​IMG]

3. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Since no one would buy that one, the waterways and marinas would be a lot less crowded. Of course you also have experience with designing a boat for efficient operation and finding no market for it. Do you know whatever happened to the Energy 48? People want room and performance and to be successful a cruising boat has to offer both. That is, unless the market is the high end and, in that case, anything goes as long as it tickles the buyers fancy..

4. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

It'd be nice to think that the various drama's that have confronted the world in the last few years would lead to a more "rational" type of boat. But I'm afraid I agree with Tom... for most "cruisers", who use their boats to travel a mile or two up the creek for lunch, and who have to pay by the foot for marina space, the short, fat and (my least favourite aspect)...tall vessel is the one that makes most sense. Sad, but true...
    I see nothing wrong with people who want to have most of the comforts of home onboard their boats. Advances in technology have allowed us to enjoy those comforts without a disproportionate cost. My parents operate a 65ft production motoryacht (which they use a LOT). It's a complicated beast with all manner of systems and back up systems. It goes against my KISS principles to be sure, but I have to say, it's a very pleasant boat to spend time aboard in some remote anchorage...
    Equally, I have nothing against those who want to (or have to for financial reasons) do their boating in a more simple manner. It's often said that the smaller the boat, the more often it will get used. And whilst my parents are an exception to the rule, I think many boater's would benefit from a period of reflection and ask themselves just how much boat they really need and just how much stuff they actually have to have on board.
    And back to the thread topic... I would still argue that aeven a rudimentary galley is one of those must have's....

5. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Ideal galley. 30 gallon coffee pot with intravenous drip option. Automatic french pastrymaker. (deluxe version of the automatic donut maker, by the same folks make the breadmaker appliance)

Grill for steaks

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

'
    You've seen the automatic coffee dispensers in airports and places that have 'extra cream and 'extra sugar' buttons? Well, your galley isn't ideal unless the coffeepot has an 'extra Irish whiskey' button....

7. Yobarnacle

Your so right. Actually I was misleading folks. If I admitted I was installing a Star Trek food replicator, everybody would be demanding my source.

8. Yobarnacle

Food Replicator/MSD

This article about Nasa's research is dated 2005, and we are all aware scientists in other countries steal our tech.
    Just head west from Golden Gate.
    i tried to clue folks, a kitchen appliance could replace the galley.

Attached Files:

9. Yobarnacle

For the squeamish, I'll remind you that, you put manure on your garden and water and energy from the sun, and abbracadabra, the plants turn it into food. What's so different about a machine doing it?

10. hoytedow

And it traps CO2, so rather than feed people with it just bury it and its sequestered again. Of course its energy source frees CO2 in the process of creating the energy needed for the thermo-synthesis.

11. Yobarnacle

I was stretching the truth a bit as to current availabilty. There is an article on net about a chef/programmer uses a printer to print sushi frrom edible ink on edible paper. claims it tastes real. Now if he could print the paper thin sliced pickled ginger root that accompanies sushi, I'd buy that ink cartridge and the paper. LOVE that stuff.

12. hoytedow

Wasabe is probably easy to print. You can probably make the paper itself from horseradish.