Where did we go wrong?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Willallison, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Thank you. This thread has indeed drifted aside quite a lots.
    Just like the other one, about cooking, has become a thread about fish&chicken-smoker setup. :)

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

more like burned fish and chicken

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

That's a smoker demonstrating it's full smoking power. :p

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

It even turned the food into smoke! :p

6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Again I don't think it went that far off -- the general discussion has been about the pro's and cons of galleys, parts thereoff, recipes, cooking, without which I think it would have died a natural death some pages back. I suppose we could have used some info from the Einstein thread, thus connecting it to boatdesign by turning back time, then reduce the cooking heat and prevented the fish and chicken from burning :) A second chance to make good in the Galley so to say.

7. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

two ways of looking at bathroom VS kitchen.....

either have lots of one or the other, and have its counterpart be an afterthought.

Overall, I think the big fancy bathroom wins out, especially if you want to cater to females, or plan on spending time within eyesight of other people and can't just "hang it over the side".

Lot easier to bring in good food from shore or go without than the same for bathroom facilities.

Notice I didn't use "head" for bathroom.

First thing I'd want on any decent sized boat would be an outside heated shower in the self-draining cockpit, to keep mud and water from even getting inside boat in first place.

8. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Was having that exact discussion yesterday.

Try suggesting having a shower on deck when it's 3C and blowing 30 knots on deck, see what sort of reaction you get.

I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that I'm going to put in some form of shower. I don't like the space it takes up, nor the water use & disposal, but nevertheless there will be one.

As for Will's starting point, I agree with him that a galley is essential. Around here, outside a handful (literally) of places, you simply are not going to be able to tie up to a jetty, wharf, whatever and walk ashore to a restaurant. It is not going to happen.

OTOH you don't have to share a bay with 100 other ********s with big boats, small brains and jet skis either.

PDW

9. Squidly-Diddly

I don't mind eating out of icechest or 'camp' cooking with

only a tiny pot for boiling water, at least not for 4 days at a time.

I remember re-habing a couple houses out in the boondocks without working kitchens. We seemed to start eating a lot more fresh fruit, and most stuff like bread keeps for a week so it wasn't much of a problem. Only thing I really missed was fresh milk.

10. Yobarnacle

In many parts of the world you can buy "Long Life Milk". Super pasteurized it needs no refrigeration till opened. Comes in liter cartons. As to showers, A plant sprayer half filled with water heated to right temperature, and a phone type shower nozzle retrofitted on the hose in place of the applicator wand works good as portable shower. pump it up and spray. just need a place that drains and nobody can see your nekkidnes. On the other hand, when I was a boy, nobody bathed daily. Just saturday night. Bacteria seems to eliminate a lot of body odor if you don't kill it with dial soap and deodorant daily. Don't remember anybody stinking horribly, and that was in florida before air conditioning was common. Just 260 air conditioning in cars, 2 windows down and 60 mph.

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I just don't see how anyone could consider anything more than a day tripper without a galley. Unless your stinkin loaded and just want to burn money left and right. To go gets really pricey.

12. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I just don't think that in any cruising boat over maybe 25ft there's any excuse for not having decent amenities. You guy's can rabble;) on about long life milk and protable stoves for ever and a day... but why would you want to?
    The amount of space devoted to each task will clearly be dependant on the SOR... it's obvious that some will requirelarger enclosed saloons and galley's than others. But I'm yet to hear a convincing argument for doing away with it all together. Quite the opposite...

As to showers... I hate being dirty. On my 28 footer I have two. One inside, one out on the boarding platform. Both have hot and cold. In spite of our temperate cruising grounds, the one out back gets way more use than the one inside.

13. Yobarnacle

I fought in Vietnam in '68. Sampans had a square 5 gal tin, opened on one corner with a length of plastic tubing inside, crew sucked up a mouthfull to get a drink. Cooking was in a galvanized tub, half full of sand, where they built a fire to cook their rice. Sauce for the rice was, won't go into details, was made from fish parts fermented in a leaf lined pit in the ground.KISS to the MAX. But I don't want to live that way.

14. Squidly-Diddly

Boston, we call it "brown bagging it".

hard salami, hard cheese, hard bread. apples, oranges and bananas.

wine, crackers, mustard but no mayo, hard boiled eggs, cake and pie, even well cooked meats keep pretty well,

maybe a few little 'lunch box' canned puddings, and canned fruit salad, etc.

foil wrapped granola bars

just typical hunting or hiking fair.

But I do think a galleyless boat, like in the thread starter, at least needs a well thought out place in the cockpit for using a camping stove or something to at least boil water for drinks and boil a pot, or plug in 110 or 220 V kitchen toys.

15. viking north

viking north VINLAND

As per my post #119 Functional Galleys have always been an important part of my builds. The key word functional, that includes not having to run the engine or generators in order that the galley operates . The driving factor here is cost and simplicity. Cost includes initial installation, operation, maintenance and repair. Hanven't had a compressor fail on my ice box in 50yrs.:cool: Once i replaced those dam useless alcohol stoves and went over to the basic propane camp style ( a little fancier but the basic will do just fine) I can't recall ever having problems with their operation. For a counter top/sink combination I've been very lucky finding old volkswagen campers. They have a one piece stainless top/sink thats just perfect for boats up to 30ft. As for cabinetry, space/shape/ is the big determinate here. Early in my boat galley fitting out years, i acquired an old wall hung unit that I've copied 50 times for myself as well as customers. It holds a complete 4 place setting for plates,cereal bowls,cups/mugs and a paper towel roll dispenser. This unit is just an incrediable space saver and the designer should be given a golden award. Over the years this galley setup has never let me down and i honestly see no need to get much fancier. I understand this would not be suitable for all, the point here is financially or space wise no one should suffer for want of a good galley. I do have to admit I am going to step it up a bit on my new build with the cooler style 12/115/propane refrigeration unit and a microwave/convection oven unit. Not because i really need it but why the hell not walk on the wild side with my final build :)
    Three other big priorities I have are: #1, a double birth, absolutely no V birth, #2, A roomy head with a min. of 4 square ft. of flat floor space, a workable vanity top and the largest marine toilet avaiable. #3 A space plus table area for a 4 place set up for dining with comfortable seating. By comfortable I mean the ergonomics between the seating and the table not require a body shape and arms from the survivor of the last flying saucer crash. I'd like to treat 90% of these designers of such to a bowl of super hot soup with their genitalia fully exposed to the circus movements of consuming the meal.
    As in my 26ft. RV, my external shower is a stainless overhead ring from which is hung a curtain . In the case of my perv. boat build I ran a water hose inside the boom ending with a 90deg. flush fit fitting onto which the built in valved shower head was attached. A sun shower style bag of fresh water hung off the mast sufficed to rince the salt water pre wash and do ones hair. I normally shower once every two to three days while crusing mainly to wash my oily itchy hair. A simple wash cloth and pan of water washdown daily keeps the flys away.
    Thats as good as it gets on my budget, over the years i've observed it doesn's spoil my woman too much :D

1 person likes this.