What would you want in a 19 ft cc

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Albert Jr., Mar 27, 2013.

1. Albert Jr.

Albert Jr. Previous Member

Hi guys, my second thread here.
    So Some of you have read my first thread so here comes my second.

As my dream boat I've always wanted a 19 footer preferably a classic 19 Mako.

Knowing that rarely someone builds a 19 cc open transom, I've decided to design my own.

My goal is to bring back a boat model that's been forgotten in the offshore fishing world.

With this I'm asking every user here,
    What would you want if a 19 ft cc was build to your specs.
    I'm seriously wanting to know everyone's opinion from fisherman to family cruising to military to research.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

A 19 foot centre console with an "open" transom ? As in no motor well, but a self-draining cockpit ?

4. Albert Jr.

It has an outboard engine offcourse but I'm thinking the open transom will be 4 ft wide while the boat itself (from port to starboard) will be 8 ft wide.
    Close to 8'9'' up front.
    A little Carolina flarish.

No motor well, a self draining cockpit but it will have a wall of fiberglass just in front of the engine so the boat won't get flooded as fast.

5. Albert Jr.

Thanks a lot, I'll take alook asap.

6. Mr Efficiency

Well, a 19 foot boat is a little small for a self-drainer, but can be done safely with good beam, carried well forward. You want a broad-shouldered boat, not something with a pointy bow low down. Like the kite boat !

7. Albert Jr.

I was thinking something like the Seacraft (I also want to use the Seacraft hull design - chines and strakes) but I want to design a hull with a flare that leans a little more towards the Carolina flare so a little in between those two hull styles.

8. Albert Jr.

I mentioned that I've ridden a classic Mako 19 for most of my childhood and we still use it to this day, but what I didn't mention is that we fish offshore a lot and the waves at Curacao are a lot different that those at Florida for example.
    the waves 20 miles off Florida are just as high as going no more than a meter or two offshore at Curacao.
    Even inshore the waves are 1 to 2 feet.

9. Mr Efficiency

If the Mako you talk about is the same one I've seen here years ago, it was regarded by the hard-nosed offshore boaters as not up to the job. It may have had a moderate 14 or 15 degree deadrise at the transom, and not much good for the nerves in a following sea. By the same token, a deep-vee more than 19 degrees would be a little tender, especially with the high floor.

10. Albert Jr.

I don't know which Mako that is.
    What I do know is that the Mako I'm referring to is from 1970 and it has a similar VDH design as the Seacraft.
    The Seacraft may be a better ride (it is between 15 to 19 degrees) but it isn't the only boat from that era that has used this type of 'stepped' method.

11. Mr Efficiency

I do believe the variable deadrise hull with the convex sections aft is the best compromise for a fishing boat of this kind, it is a much steadier vessel underfoot than a deep vee carried all the way aft.

12. Albert Jr.

I will admit that I have rarely ever been on boats newer than 1990.
    Only boats I've been on that are newer are a 32 outrage, 21 outrage and a 21 dauntless.(Mako beated both 21 footers IMH)

IMO the Mako has ridden fine till this day but that's for me.
    I know boats have gotten better and have achieved a way softer ride but compared to my 25 outrage from 1988, the Mako just rides better.

13. Albert Jr.

Well this may annoy you but what is a convex section.
    I have a feeling that you're referring to the 'steps' that I was talking about.

14. Mr Efficiency

Not stepped, just a bottom where the deadrise at the chine decreases steadily towards the centreline, at the transom.

15. Albert Jr.

Oh ok ok.
    Learned something new right there :)
    But that is what I was thinking to use the design specs that have been used for the Seacraft hulls.
    Use the same angle of degrees.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.