What would you like to see on a 40 ft day cruiser?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Ash.D, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

It is quite difficult to say this or that would be cool on a boat. We all have different preferences wrt some things.

I would think if you buy a boat it shouldn't be just that. What I mean is if you want to add something there must be a place where it can be fitted or mounted... ie a tv just to name an example. I wonder what the batteries voltages are... be nice if you have a low power LCD indicator somewhere... can I add solar panels... how much are they charging... etc etc/

It is going to be very difficult to design a boat that would provide for absolutely everything, but if you try it will help some.

2. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Man, three pages... Am I the only one that were thinking something in a yellow bikini....?

:confused:

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"As everybody understands, its just impossible to provide an equal product for the same price. If a busy little yard buys 24 winches p.a. they have to fight for a 15% discount. Bavaria buys 40 per day! What do you assume they have to pay ? Right, 50% "

WRONG, When we were boatbuilding as soon as we were an OEM we got almost the same discount as the big boys.

It was 50%+10% with an extra 2% for pre-pay and free shipping on pre-pay.

AS a small builder our prices were probably much better than the big boys who were usually 90-180 days late on bills .

There IS a difference if one has to purchase resin from a factory rep , with drums trucked in , or IF you have a rail line behind the shop , and can by rail car loads direct from the factory..

FF

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

No, see my post #7....red letters:D

5. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Concerning yards clubbing together to buy materials, dont dismiss it, it is extremely common practise for farmers to negotiate fertilizers enmass to achieve discounts. The suppliers go along with it as they gain volume sales lowering their unit cost of production etc..

I maintain the volume manufactuers (I wont call them boat builders....) could bring out a cheap and pretty day sailor as described that would sell like hot cakes. I dont understand this fascination for the upper end of the market.

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

You have been lucky FRED,
    we are not. I have a big boatyard here under contract and three smaller boatshops. All books and calculations are open for my inspection. And I see quite a big difference in purchase discounts. Maybe the winch was not the best example. You pointed out the resin, which is easier to understand.
    But in general it´s just a question of common sense to understand a mechanism that is valid worldwide.
    Regards
    Richard

7. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Thank you Timothy. In some respects, I think I favor a classic touch to my line work in yacht design--that's just me--a product of my fetching up as a yacht designer. My personal preference is boats for offshore voyaging, and the G45 is meant to be my next boat, if ever I get the disposable income to spend it that way.

One could simplify the SC 40 by going with a traditional fixed keel, traditional stayed rig, traditional rudder and still have as pleasant a boat. You would be giving up shipping in a container, and that is a compromise on cost with a potential savings (simplified construction) being offset by a cost increase for higher shipping charges for deck cargo transport. Do a study and it could be an even trade. Alternatively, one could build in the US instead of China, but then the cost of materials and labor go way up as against potentially smaller shipping costs, at least within the US. Compromise, compromise.

I recall back in the mid 1990s, a Dutch fellow named Woody Gazit who was disabled (wheelchair bound) commissioned a 51' aluminum sailing yacht design named Uri from an Israeli designer, Itay Simhony, who was (and maybe still is) working in the Netherlands. It was a pretty neat boat that could fully accommodate a wheelchair, and Mr. Gazit could even sail it single-handed. The whole boat was covered by what looked like a greenhouse almost--lots of glass windows--and all lines could be tended from the inside. Cool boat, probably had a cool price. I know all this because I saved a clipping on it for my files. Well, I digress; is a thread about affordable and good-looking 40' daysailers....

Eric

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Eric,

I like your free standing masts. Very neat.

9. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"Alternatively, one could build in the US instead of China, but then the cost of materials and labor go way up.

Almost slave labor is always cheap ,

but why would you think materials would be cheaper?

Quality resins , glass fiber, lead or bronze for castings are on a world market pricing. NO?

FF

10. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

11. chandler

chandler Senior Member

C'mon, if you can afford a $120,000 daysailor you can afford anything!
    Now days a haven 12'5 will cost you 120.
    Whats wrong with a builder making a buck, you obviously have more than they will make in a lifetime, probably sponsored by one of whichever bailouts!
    Rich get richer the poor get poorer.

12. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"Rich get richer the poor get poorer."

Head out to Cuba , you will love it!

FF

13. chandler

chandler Senior Member

What's that supposed to mean FAST FRED?

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

looked like a shot across the bow to me

think he just called you "comrade" friend

15. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Boston
    That's kind of what I thought.
    I stand by what I said though, if you can afford a $120,000.00 day sailor what right do you have to question the right of a small boatyard to make a profit?
    I grew up in ct. bunch of rich arrogant rebublicans. Most of the ceos from the bailed out banks with their 9 figure salaries live there, register their cars in NY or NH to save a few bucks and hire illegal immigrants to care for their homes and kids so they don't have to pay legitimate payroll taxes.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.