what sort of mesh fabric and foam is used on backpack straps and backs?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I got some of this fabric on order, so we'll see, I guess.http://www.ebay.com/itm/321907108956?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

No one at local fabric/sewing stores had a clue, and neither did backpack dept of REI. http://www.zpacks.com/images/accessories/strap_pad/pad_bottom_l.jpg

What type of foam is used? I'd cut open an unused backpack strap but I don't think that will tell me what it is called, what density is called out, etc.

WTF am I going to do with it? Several possible projects.....

1)portage yoke padding for custom kayak yoke (like a canoe sort of but allows better carry of kayak). Instead of ridge curved piece that sits on shoulders, maybe some universal frame that straps the kayak to PVC/pool noodle supports, then has 4 legs that come down and attach to shoulder straps. The idea is to carry a kayak centered with most of the weight on shoulders. Probably with kayak upside down and tippped up so your head is in the seat well without blocking too much forward vision.

2)general outdoor seating (been impressed at how the mesh/padding stands up to machine wash, dries nice, etc year after year)

3)last but not least, DIY body armor carrier.:)

2. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

3. bregalad

bregalad Senior Member

4. alan craig

alan craig Senior Member

If the foam you want is closed cell, then likely to be EVA or Polyethylene. A cheap way to get 3/8" sheet closed cell foam is a roll up camping mattress.

5. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Thanks, you guys are better than Google.

Plus I'm learning new terms like "weft".

6. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Be careful lest you end up warped..

Great subject, I've just started enjoying kayaking after years ... the seating on my new(council throw out plus a cup of resin, some chop and Q babies) kayak a Geoff Barker "Estuary" paddles beautifully but feel I need some lumbar support in these intial stages, I see hobies and similar have seat supports.

Jeff.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.