What Is The Largest Length And Beam For Over The Road Shipping?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by CAPT D, Feb 19, 2015.

1. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

There can also be weight restrictions. "Frequent" trips could mean it might be better to have a boat in each location and save all the trouble.

2. CAPT D

CAPT D Junior Member

Hello Fred, I Am Just Waiting For The "permit' Company That I Contacted A Few Days Ago To Get Their Opinion.

I Have Until March 31st For Last Minute Changes To The Build Plan

The Vessel Will Be My Live Aboard Home For 8 To 10 Months A Year And I Intend To Explore The Rivers And Canals For The Next 10/20/30 Years In My Retirement.

Thanks For Your Time

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Once it is launched there would be little reason to wish to land haul the boat again.

Toronto to Vancouver would be cheaper and more fun in the water , rather than 3 days on a truck.

My big question is why would you choose to new build when there are so many existing boats that will do the job at 1/2 to 1/4 the cost?

And when you decide to Swallow the Anchor selling a known product is far easier than selling an unknown one off?

4. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

I am a haulage contractor and I haul steel pylon cages every day. A lot of my loads are over length. I can go to an overall length of 22 meters and 2.5 mts wide with no signage or restrictions apart from headlights on . 22 to 25 mts requires rear oversize sign and still no permit. Over 25 requires special permit and lots of travel restrictions. Up to 4.5 mts wide flags on each corner and pilot vehicle. Under 3 just flags. 4.3 mts maximum height at all times. Over this requires permits. Police. Pilots and power company staff. So effectively you could have an 18 mt boat with a 3.5 mt beam and under 4.3 on the trailer without special permits or pilots. Maybe have hinged wings down each side to increase the beam when you launch. These are Australian rules but I think they would be similar in most places.

Attached Files:

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

In the USA, local rules can be complicated. For example, cities or municipalities have restrictions during traffic hours.

6. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

And usually you cannot drive at night and into cities

I am also investigating moving wide loads in the USA as we plan to take out Skoota 28 powercat from Seattle to Texas later this year. Fortunately it all demounts for transport, even so we have a load 40ft x 10ft x 7ft. But because the all up weight is under 5000lbs we can tow it behind our truck

http://sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/designs/6-powercats/264-skoota-28

We had considered transporting it from the PNW to Duluth and cruising south from there, but the timing isn't good as we don't like cold and want another summer cruising the PNW before moving on to new cruising grounds. Taking the boat to Texas is about 600 miles further but we get south and can always head north to the Great Lakes next summer via the ICW

So the only real reason to transport a boat in N America is to save going through the Panama Canal to get from east to west coast. Everywhere else you can do by water

It's the same in Europe, you can get anywhere by water. From London to the Black Sea, or, surprisingly, even to Switzerland. Even the Vikings got to the Black Sea

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

7. CAPT D

CAPT D Junior Member

Trucking Over The Road

Hello Richard, A Very Interesting Website And Videos, A Smart Little Vessel.

Thanks For Sharing

8. Richard Woods

Thank you for the compliments!

My wife and I will be comfortable living on board full time and cruising our Skoota from mid March, when we move back on board, until at least September.

I always say "buy the smallest boat you need, not the biggest you want"

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

9. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Its the same here. You can download maps and info on specific areas.

10. Richard Woods

11. CAPT D

CAPT D Junior Member

""buy the smallest boat you need, not the biggest you want"

I agree with your comment above, for sure, I just sold this Gentleman`s Yacht" with 4 staterooms and 5 heads, www.Maritime-Gypsy.ca and building a cosy river/canal cruiser to live "Off Grid" for the next 10/20/30 years of my retirement

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.