what kind of boat will nasa design for the methane sea on the moon Titan

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Boston, Dec 20, 2009.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

If they can find a new way to waste our money in a cow fart sea, they will.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

NASA should be for defense of freedom and not wasting money on the moon of cow farts.

3. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I can't agree more. This is well said.
    Cheers
    Daniel

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

c mon where is your sense of adventure

I just thought it would be cool to come up with a design that beets the pants off the NASA teams design

oh
    have a friend of mine who designs airplanes
    says NASA is an anachronism for Never a Straight Story

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you only knew of all the magnificent contributions made by and for NASA, you'd have a different opinion folks. Speak what you know before you prematurely judge.

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

you ever heard what Burt Rattan has to say about NASA

and yes they gave us some interesting stuff
    teflon for instance
    was originally designed to line the pipes feeding fuel to the Titan rockets
    and bubble wrap
    originally used to insulate the looner lander

but they also waisted billions on that white elephant and made some really lame decisions like not carying the large fuel tank into orbit and using them to build a gravitational ring

they were sued I think by someone who had an alternative design for the fuel tanks that would have allowed them to have there ends unbolted and the tubes screwed together to form a large ring
    thing could have been spun for artificial gravity

guy had a great idea and NASA would not even consider it

so they have had there moments
    and they have made a few whopping blunders

all in all Ild like to know why we are not back on the moon in force yet

B

7. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I understand what you mean, but the money invested ratio to return is not favorable. And the great discovery to help the people will have been made anyway by private sector. By the way the list of the inventions made by the NASA who realy help the whole population was never disclosed. Beside the tempurpedic bed from Sweden and the Hasseblad from Sweden too.
    Ok I go to far, I know, but NASA discovery for the day by day comfort and safety of the American is like a myth.
    Nobody can honnestly disclose this list, without been challenged by an other private company who did the same. (beside the rocketting of course)
    The NASA send rocket in the Space, send the telescope for the exploration of the unknowne, I agree for the research it's fantastic. The GPS also is fantastic. But the farce with Mars and the Moon is going a little far with the billions on tax payer money.
    I don't premature judge the NASA discovery the 15 of April of every year. Beleive me :D
    But I understand you point too, and it is the reason they exist.
    Cheers
    Daniel

8. PAR

Only government run agencies have the pockets to develop the really weird or far fetched ideas. No privately funded organization can come close to the level of support and research that outfits like NASA or other government departments can muster, especially if it has a national security label attached to it.

Do you really think the huge communications and electronics experimentation and product explosion that has occurred in the last 20 years, would have had a remote chance without huge bureaucratic spending sprees? Please . . . there isn't a privately run company in the world that can compete with the likes of the US government. Yes, there's lots of waste, but then again if there was an oversite committee looking in my refrigerator or garage, I'd be accused of the same level of "want not". Look, you just can't compare a tax payer funded, political appointee headed, government organization with the private sector, they don't play under the same rules or have the same goals.

It's a myth that exploration is the reason they (NASA) exist. This is more misunderstanding. They exist to toss spy satellites into space, so we can look down on those we want to. This is their primary reason for surviving. The government needs this service and can't trust it to a private company, that might out source or worse. We've tried to take much of this burden off of NASA with military launches at their own sites, but they just don't do as good a job as NASA, so . . .

It's difficult to justify this rational to the average person who thinks we live in la la land and don't have US military, CIA and NSA Keyholes still in service, because the cold war is over, but I can assure you, not only are these still in service, but new, much better units are. Google earth wouldn't exist if it wasn't for these old, previously clandestine images. The information we now have about climate, wave patterns in the oceans, the ocean floor, "nap of the earth", weather patterns, etc. all are a result of previously classified materials.

People seem to think that WD-40 and a few other products are the only result of NASA efforts. This is grossly incorrect. Who do you think Bell Labs was working on the micro chip for in the 60's?, Solid state circuitry before that? The private market? Oh come on, they had most every modern convenience in the pipe line a decade before we saw them, mostly in an effort to miniaturize things for space travel.

For example, the big rock that fell from the sky and landed on the Yucatan peninsula and wiped out the big meat eaters several million years ago was just a poorly regarded theory, until images from a recently declassified KH-6 reconnaissance satellite showed a crater shadow. Looking around in different imagery sources the theory was confirmed and now is widely accepted, all because of a declassified bit of hardware that very few even knew existed. Of course none of this had anything to to with the exploration of space.

I'm a bit of a history buff and the one thing that pisses me off is people speaking without the vision of a good understanding of the past. This is most prevalent in the USA where everyone has an opinion about how terrible things are and what should be done to fix it, but couldn't tell you who the current President pro tem of the senate is. I've repeatedly found that those with the really good ideas in life also have an understanding of previous attempts at similar or related.

1 person likes this.
  9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

There are a whole lot worse ways of 'wasting' government money than the space program. If they ever put a little check box after the question, "would you like to support efforts to get mankind into space, so our eggs aren't all in the same basket?" I'll check it every year.

10. laurencet

laurencet Junior Member

not to put a damper on things but I'd be inpressed if it was anything more than a floating bouy... I expect the generator on board is to power the comms.

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

it was exactly that
    I saw the design
    thing had no imagination at all and the way they depicted it would be sitting in a tranquil current-less sea
    embarrassing really
    didnt really seem to match the potential weather conditions they described at all

my hope was someone would come up with a wing sail and vawt turbine generator for propulsion and power
    maybe some kind of nicely streamlined hull and some ability to go exploring

kinda like that self guided sailing platform that was being discussed not to long ago on one of the other threads

B

12. PAR

You're not going to sail in this environment. Picture attempting to sail through mud in hurricane force winds. The question will be, which happens first; the hull is crushed against the wave just to leeward or the rig is ripped off the boat, all in the first second of operation.

They may actually land on this "ocean" but they'll probably drive over it, rather then attempt to propel through it.

13. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

14. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

15. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Trade winds..
    "The researchers' model of Titan suggests tides can create surface winds that reach about one mile per hour (a half-meter per second)."
    but..
    "New radar evidence shows they are seas -- but seas of sand dunes like those in the Arabian or Namibian Deserts"
    So they are quessing..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.